McGhee needs to focus on his own team

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

McGhee needs to focus on his own team

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:45 am

It seems like Motherwell Manager Mark McGhee has a problem with Celtic or their Management Team. Last year he refused to shake hands with Ronny Deila, this year he has had a pop at Brendan’s assistant Chris Davies.

I watched him before the match during the final warm-up coming up to the Celtic area, he appeared to be ranting at Chris about where the shooting practice was taking place, I go to all our away games and didn’t see any deviation from the normal area used for shooting practice.

I can understand McGhee being frustrated at losing a match after being 2-0 ahead at half-time, but the confrontation took place before kick-off, maybe Mark thought upsetting the normal Celtic preparation was his best chance of success, and who knows, maybe it worked.

It was a very poor display from Celtic in the first half, nothing like the very high standard that has been set this season, but what a transformation in the second half, obviously the Manager did what he is paid to do, he changed his system and won the game.

Maybe if McGhee had channelled his energy into telling his players to go on and win the match, instead of concentrating on trying to find out the name of Celtic’s Assistant Manager, they might actually have won.

How embarrassing was it to hear McGhee claim he didn’t know Chris Davies name, it goes to show he needs to brush on his preparation and knowledge of the team he is playing against, that’s if you believe that, which I don’t. McGhee might be many things but he’s not daft, it was an insult to Chris, and if McGhee said that to his face he’s lucky he didn’t get a slap.

As for the collapse of Motherwell in the second half, a lot of that was down to Brendan changing the team system, but some blame must be attached to McGhee, he finished up playing with a flat back ten, if his team had gone any further back they would have been in beside us in the stand.

If was a fantastic afternoon for the Celtic support, to be 2-0 down at half-time and go on to win 4-3 doesn’t happen very often, but as soon as we got our first goal I thought we would go on to win, especially since Motherwell were defending so deep.

There was one disappointment from the match. After one of our goals someone threw a firework onto the pitch, the firework just missed a wee ball boy, which is totally unacceptable. I have said on here many times that I don’t condone the use of pyrotechnics, mainly because of the danger it brings to our own supporters. Throwing them on to the pitch is equally as dangerous for obvious reasons. I would like to think that whoever was responsible didn’t mean to cause the wee boy any distress. The best way to avoid that is not to have any pyro’s at all, you know it makes sense.

It’s now on to Manchester as the Brendan Juggernaut continues on its way.

Return to “CSA News”