"Where do we go from here?"

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

"Where do we go from here?"

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:26 pm

It is hard to even think about last night again. I went to Celtic Park convinced we had turned the corner after the debacle that was Legia Warsaw. It turned out just as bad; we were give a lottery ticket and decided to tear it up instead of cashing it in.

I really don’t know where we go from here, if we continue with Ronny Deila then we need to clear out the players who don’t fit into his system, or what might be more realistic; Ronny needs to change his system to suit the good players we have; and get rid of the players who are clearly not good enough.

I spoke to Ronny just last week and said to him and Peter Lawwell; we have a first team playing squad of about 32 players, about 12 of them will never be selected for the first team except in exceptional circumstances, so why are they there, get rid of them and use the money to fund the wages of good players.

I thought last night the players did not look confident enough to take the game to Maribor; there seemed to be a fear in the team; especially in the first half , we were not creating chances; and always looked vulnerable to a counter attack; and I certainly don’t think we can play at home with one up front.

When you think of the past Champions League nights against the likes of Barcelona and Manchester United, this was a pale comparison, and it has to be said, there was a fantastic crowd there last night, and they didn’t get what they deserved, they were short changed.

I suppose we are where we belong in the Europa League, we were second best in every department against Legia Warsaw, and I genuinely feel sorry for the polish team, I certainly hope we don’t draw them in the Europa League.

My initial thoughts last night was “Stuff the Europa League” I’m not going to go to those games; all the hassle of 6pm kick-offs on Thursday nights, and now at least four home fixtures moved from Saturday to Sunday. But when it comes down to it; it’s Celtic Football Club, and I've been following them for 60 years; so i guess I’ll be there.

Re: "Where do we go from here?"

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:40 pm

We carry on we've been through worst than this before yes disappointment last night but we are Celtic supporters and always will be "without football fans the club is nothing Hail Hail

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:08 pm

Yep, can't agree more,

Still think we need to give the manager a chance but I just hope he doesn't concentrate too much on filling the team with guys that can run for 90 minutes without any football ability at all.

Our achilles heel is consistently bringing in guys like Berget, I've been watching Celtic for 30 years and can't recall anyone with less pace, strength or ball skill wearing the hoops, I've no idea why he was brought in, it simply doesn't make any sense.

Add in Boerrigter ( who actually slowed the game down! ) , Pukki & Balde were nowhere to be seen ( thank fully ) , less said about Izzy ( been off the pace last 2seasons )and Effe the better .
Who is responsible for these guys being at the club,? There as much to blame for our disappointing team as anyone else & there error of judgment has cost us millions we can't afford to lose.

Did we actually pay any money for them at all or was it paper talk money to appease the fans.?

More so, our budget is actually fine to qualify for Champions League, we had to beat teams from Iceland, Poland & Slovenia. Hardly frightening.
We aren't being asked to compete with the big guns, so whats the problem with the budget? Suggest this is a mentality thing , nothing else

From a board perspective and as a shareholder at Celtic, I've no doubt that they run the club well, it shows. Problem they have is there in the performance business, It's not enough to have a "survival" business plan, The boards job is to ensure the club can be competitive, I'm not sure the current Celtic board can. Our majority shareholder is a billionaire, so's Chelsea's. I'm not for one minute suggesting they copy that club however it's amazing what a bit of help & ambition ( financially ) can do .

Really frustrating, but as per Joe, we take the good times and the bad

HH

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:08 pm

Like you I felt angry and frustrated last night. The people around me, who have sat together since the new park opened , were all at each others throats.
RD may turn into a good manager someday, but he is not one now. It has been a big gamble to entrust Celtic to him.
On the subject of trust. If no one is bigger than our Club, why have we been left so abysmally prepared for Europes premier competition. Park, Lennon, Lawell, Desmond have left us bereft of strikers. The procession of strikers that have come through have been no use at all and the one that are trying to be made into strikers have not been able to improve.
As everyone with a trifling of football knowledge knows, if the 3 big positions are not right - keeper, centre half and striker - then you have nothing
regards
Tommy Conway

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Well Joe, I have to agree. However I am not afraid to say that the manager must take most of the blame, not to select Commons from the start was bad mistake. you have to also look at the motivation factor, if the players had a fearful demeanour then that is the fault of the coach who sends them out to play. A good coach will build the confidence up and send the team out highly motivated. Ronny does not seem to have the ability or strength of character to be able to do this. Having the captain Scott Brown out there would helped greatly but it still comes back to the coach. Maybe there is a language problem there, in that Ronny might not be able to express himself in a strong motivational manner. If that's the case then what is John Collins doing? No one has said anything about his involvement, but he should shoulder as much of the blame as well, and then there is this bloody psychologist, he is in hiding too. No, for me its about preparing the team with the right positive attitude to go out mentally prepared. Like you having supported Celtic for over 60 years I will again point to the Lisbon Lions, a team of local lads with the right mental attitude instilled by a strong willed manager. It wasn't the 'fear factor' it was belief!!! How else could the likes of a player like Jim Craig win a European Cup winners medal??

I don't know how many times I have watched a game and within the first 5 minutes you could just tell who was going to win that particular game on the day, that's what a good coach does. That's what he does!!!!!

Kiwibhoy

Postby Kiwibhoy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:21 pm

As someone commented on the [I:ff4b7040]Scotsman[/I:ff4b7040]'s news article:

[I:ff4b7040]The Celtic decline is directly related to the demise of Rangers.They were not called the Old Firm for nearly a hundred years for nothing.You can look at it every which way but this is what it boils down to.[/I:ff4b7040]

Another comment, same thread:

[I:ff4b7040]Sorry to see Celtic going out but I suppose it is poetic justice after the Legia shambles. As a Dons fan who still has enjoyed Celtic's champions league forays on TV over the last few years, I would suggest to the Celtic faithfull that this is the year that their luck ran out. The Europa Cup is their real level when you consider the millions shelled out for players by the main contenders in the so called Champions League. Teams like Legia, Maribor, Rosenborg, Lyons and Celtic cannot compete with the really big boys in Europe although they might have an occasional thrill.

I hope Celtic do well in the Europa cup but the fans must realise the effect that the English premiership sponsored by Sky,BT, Barclays etc. has on other European football leagues by creating massive transfer fees which only the richer clubs can afford. Past reputations mean nothing when your club cannot take the risk of paying big money for players who may get games in the Champions league but are more likely to spend the bulk of their time in the top league of Scotland. So what are the choices ? Give your young manager the time to build a team for next year's Euro campaign or hope that some billionaire Far East business man will buy the club,spend millions on players and then tell fans that the club colours will be changed from green to lucky red ?[/I:ff4b7040]

As much as I hate to admit this, the solution may be in waiting for the Auld Enemy to make a re-appearance, because (as I've observed before) it is the challenge provided in a strong domestic competition which both helps one's own team do well and lifts the standard, and therefore the appeal, as a whole. Still, if people disagree I would be happy to hear why.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Well you know my views on that question Joe.

It is the PLC structure of our club that has brought us to this position.

The ONLY way we are going to progress is with a complete change in organisational structure.

Implementation of a fan ownership scheme is now essential.

HH

Jim H

Kiwibhoy

Postby Kiwibhoy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:20 pm

[URL:e65b9ad6]http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/lawwell-celtic-among-best-run-clubs-in-world-1-3525679[/URL:e65b9ad6]

Peter Lawwell's comments, and this especially telling remark:

[I:e65b9ad6]“The consequences of Rangers going bust and starting off at the bottom is that it has taken millions out of the game. The consequences are that every club – Celtic more than others – have lost out short-term financially. We have bridged that gap by selling players. That’s the consequence of it.
[/I:e65b9ad6][I:e65b9ad6]
“We don’t have a title sponsor for the SPFL, the broadcasting deal is poor and on the way down. Our own fans, in terms of engagement, are saying ‘Well, we are going to win the league’. Competition is the lifeblood of sport – where is the competition? Revenues are coming down and we have pretty smartly seen that coming, invested in our recruitment to have good players who will move on for more money to fill that gap".[/I:e65b9ad6]

In other words, Celtic wore it, in spades, for Rangers' departure from the top-league game. To many in the fandom, I would say: be careful what you wish for.

Kiwibhoy

Postby Kiwibhoy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:47 am

[URL:aa1e6a0e]http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/rumour-mill-lawwell-griffiths-kluivert-1-3526385[/URL:aa1e6a0e]

[B:aa1e6a0e]CELTIC are losing significant sums of money without their Old Firm rivals, Leigh Griffiths may be heading back to Easter Road, and Patrick Kluivert has applied for the Ross County manager’s role.
[/B:aa1e6a0e][B:aa1e6a0e]Celtic losing £10 per annum without Rangers[/B:aa1e6a0e]

Peter Lawwell has revealed that Celtic could have lost up to £10 million per season by Rangers not being in the Scottish Premiership. The chief executive cited a reduce in season ticket prices, the absent Old Firm derby cash cow, and a lack of interest due to there being little competition in the top flight. Lawwell then went onto defend the club’s signing policy, stating they would happily sign Scottish players if they thought they were good enough. (Sunday Herald)

• Head coach Ronny Deila has stated that Celtic were laughed at when they tried to negotiate transfer fees and contracts with English clubs and players. In the wake of the Champions League defeat to Maribor the club have made a concerted effort to defend the signing policy, with Deila citing an “unbelievable” difference in price between the English and Scottish leagues, (Sunday Mail)

(from [I:aa1e6a0e]The Scotsman[/I:aa1e6a0e], 1 Sept 14)

Return to “CSA News”