Lawyer backs "Famine Song"

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

Lawyer backs "Famine Song"

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:15 pm

I find it incredible that Edinburgh lawyer John Scott claims that the Famine Song may not be racist,he made this claim after Rangers fan William Wals was found guilty at Kilmarnock Sheriff court of racial and religious aggravated breach of the peace,Scott says this case should go to the court of appeal to be clarified,now if Mr Scott is touting for business thats one way of going about it,maybe he could ask to have his phone number put on the back of the handcuffs carried by the police who follow the Rangers hordes around Europe,i wonder if he has an office in Manchester.
Scott claims that singing go home does not constitute a crime,and that the tartan army's song "Flower of Scotland"has worse verses,and in fact the lyrics are not a million miles away from the "Famine Song".
I think there is one major difference there,Flower of Scotland is about Robert the Bruce defeating the English under Prince Edward in 1314,nearly 700 years ago,the Famine song is present day racism,and that is undeniable,i think for one of Scotland's solictor advocates to make these comments throws a huge cloud over the criminal justice system in Scotland,it has taken a lot for this grossly offensive song to be condemned by society as a whole,and it probably only happened because the Irish Goverment got involved,but at least it has happened.
I would say to any unfortunate Celtic fans who need a lawyer,dont contact Mr Scott,he'll probably be too busy defending racist thugs,but the plus side for him is,the Rangers Supporters Trust,who agree with his views,will put plenty of work his way.

jbd

Re: Lawyer backs "Famine Song"

Postby jbd » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:53 am

To compare "Flower of Scotland" to "The Famine Song" is utter nonsense.
"Flower of Scotland", which has [B:f4688ccb][U:f4688ccb]one[/U:f4688ccb][/B:f4688ccb] line "....and sent them homewards to think again", goes on, "Those days are past now, AND IN THE PAST THEY MUST REMAIN"
"The Famine Song" is sectarian bile from start to finish.
If an educated man like a lawyer can't see THAT, then I'm afraid his comments say more about himself than the song.
(I wonder if he knows it off by heart!!!).

legal tim

Postby legal tim » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:41 am

I know John Scott and he is a decent guy who is probably speaking from a perspective of being a Human Rights lawyer and therefore having concerns about a diminution of free speech as he sees it. Personally I think the right not to be abused in this way is a more important freedom but I have no concerns about his motives.
Personally I would be quite happy if this were to be appealed so that the position would be clear all round.

max

Postby max » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:37 pm

I wonder how this 'human rights'activist feels about such lines as, "YOU RAPE YOUR CHILDREN"?
Ach, I'm just being daft, it's obviously just a wee bit of friendly banter, to read anything bad into such fun and witty good humour's obviously being over sensitive!
We Scots/Irish really need to learn to take it easy!!

GODSAVEIRELAND

Postby GODSAVEIRELAND » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:27 am

To compare both is absolutely absurd.Aside from the reality that one has present day connotations and one historic,the latter to my understanding was aimed at the establishment and not at your average English immigrant or their offspring.It is an absurdity and i wonder if his comments would have been replicated if the targetted community were perhaps the Indian community with Bengali prefixing famine in the line.

A cornerstone of Equality is the right not to be discriminated against because of national or ethnic origin aswell as many other strands.

BTW hello all,1st post and all that stuff

Return to “CSA News”