A short guide to Santa Ponsa for the Convention

Main Forum Description
gerryfromderry13

A short guide to Santa Ponsa for the Convention

Postby gerryfromderry13 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:00 pm

Having spent many years going to Santa Ponsa and having stayed in most hotels and drunk and eaten in most bars I feel somewhat qualified to help my fellow hoops who are going to Santa Ponsa to choose the right Hotels, Eateries and Bars.

The best hotels are THE HOLIDAY PARK, THE HOLIDAY CENTRE, in the Irish quarter. The DEYA is also in the Irish quarter but was very run down but when we were there last October they were closing for a major renovation so it should be ok now. The Rey Don Jaime is another great hotel as is the Playa Santa Ponsa. These we would recommend and are all close enough to the beach, some closer than others. By the way the weather will be hot in May but not unbearable. The only hotel we ever found to be dubious was the SUNBEACH, we stayed here and it was not clean and we have heard similar stories from friends and people we have met out there, the Irish call it the Scumbeach.
Good restaurants are Mulligans/Made in Italy in the Irish quarter, Mrs Murphys Kitchen, Fat Sams, Crocodillos for a special meal and Restaurant del Mar the far side of the beach, Rendezvous for breakfasts and Tonys Pizza beside Funkys bar, opposite the Dubliner for an authentic Spanish feel.
Avoid the Dubliner bar and restaurant, rip off for food and drink and not very good, cockroaches in their food etc. We have friends who ate their and were violently ill for 2 days, you dont want that on holidays!

Great bars are The Shamrock, Durty Nellys, Seans Place, Danielles Corner all down by the beach AND YOU WILL FIND THATS WHERE ALL THE ATMOSPHERE AND CRAIC IS.
Up the road from these are a series of bars including the rip off Dubliner and a lot of of other bars up this strip have taken to doing cheap drink but it is only sickly local brew and will give you such a head the next day its not worth the savings, stick to branded products and bars that sell them. Worst for this practice are Simplys, KMS and Hotshots, stay clear of these if you dont want to be sick, we have experienced this first hand and felt conned and ill the next day.

Santa Ponsa is a natural place for The Celtic Convention and you will find a very big welcome awaiting you here but just watch out for the rip off places and stay safe when it comes to drinking and eating, there are no real hygene laws in Spain and from our experience places like The Dubliner follow the laws loosely obviously dont disinfect for cockroaches etc and end up in the food. Also do not drink tap water buy bottled water at all times. You will love the beach here too. Take a trip into Palma if you can only 20 mins on the bus but its a stunning city and also go to The Pirates show in Magaluf 3 miles away it is absolutley stunning.

Have a great and safe trip, we will be there for sure and up The Hoops always!

Joe O'Rourke

Re: A short guide to Santa Ponsa for the Convention

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:26 pm

Gerry
Thanks for the information, it is very useful and greatly appreciated. We will be announcing the headline act for the Gala Dinner probably on Monday, it is a very well know Irish signer with his new band. Keep the info and up-dates coming.
Joe

gerryfromderry13

Postby gerryfromderry13 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Sounds great, so looking forward to going back there again, its a great spot for the Irish. Where the Village going to be located?

Joe O'Rourke

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:12 pm

It will be right across from the Rey Don Jaime at the football parks.

gerryfromderry13

Postby gerryfromderry13 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:19 pm

I know it well. I expect you will be there Joe and I also expect to see you on stage singing Danny Boy or some other classic Irish song, haha

Joe O'Rourke

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Danny Boy, my wifes hates that song, she says every time she hears it someone dies, my party piece used to be The Town I Love So Well, but it's too long, and more importantly i'm a rubbish singer, although i come from a very talented family even our sewing machine was a Singer.

whitburnbhoy

Postby whitburnbhoy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:04 pm

Looking forward to this big time .As a resort Santa Ponsa is 1st class , spent many a fabulous fortnight their . Cant wait let the madness commence...........

kuma14

Postby kuma14 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:20 am

:glasses-cool:There are a few other places that you might like to visit during your stay here.

RDC Mallorca are playing their last game of the season on the weekend of the 15/16 May. They are playing Espanyola and this game could decide on European football for Mallorca. The tickets are very cheap (approx €10.00) and as a season ticket holder I can assure you will have a great time. The stadium is located just of the Via Cintura highway and you will pass this stadium when you travel from the airport.

Another very popular venue is the Palma Aquarium. This is located close to the airport in Can Pastilla.

Also Magaluf offers some great places to visit with the House of Katmandu. Next to this upside down building a Fantasy Golf course is been built. It is supposed to be ready for May!!!!. For evening entertainment places like the Fountain bar across the road from Katmandu has live acts every night.

As we travel around the island everyday visiting clients my wife and I have gained a vast knowledge of this beautiful island and we have designed a website for tourist information. For the latest information you can log onto our site at: http:www.welcome-2-mallorca.com.

We hope that everyone has a great time out here and our local business people are all looking forward to seeing you.

Return to “Main Forum”