Non-Rapid fan offering help for supporters travelling to Vienna

Main Forum Description
Vienna-Fritz

Non-Rapid fan offering help for supporters travelling to Vienna

Postby Vienna-Fritz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi everybody,

I am a non-rapid fan living in Vienna (living with Gelsenkirchens most charming girl, I am supporting Schalke 04 normally), and would like to offer advice or simply answers to questions for any supporters coming down to watch your team here in Vienna in December.
I have done this in the past for Welsh, Irish and English fans in cooperation with their associations, like the FSF, the YBIG or others, and have always enjoyed it a lot, so feel free to post any questions you might have about accommodation, places to go out, public transport etc. ... and I will do my best to answer them.

I am 32, used to work in the tourism-industry for a while in Vienna, but now I am managing the emergency call-centre of a travel-inurance company. Besides that, I work as a freelance medic for a Vienna based international expat soccer team and our local GAA-team, so I am well-used to all sorts of typical questions folks from your corner of Europe might have. Despite that, I am a known regular in most of Viennas Irish and British pubs, so if you are searching for a proper pint, let me know !

So, if anybody has questions, feel free to post them here, I will do my best to answer them !

With greetings from Vienna, Fritz

Joe O'Rourke

Re: Non-Rapid fan offering help for supporters travelling to Vienna

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:42 pm

That is very kind of you Fritz, it will be very much appreciated by our wonderful fans, i'm sure you'll manage to sample a few of the best beers with the best fans in the world. Once again well done for the offer.

EDN1CSC

Postby EDN1CSC » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Great offer much appreciated.

Is it best taking hat and gloves over since the game is in december?

Is there a main area with bars, clubs etc?

What are the prices like for food, beer etc

Vienna-Fritz

Postby Vienna-Fritz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:33 pm

Thank you for the question, and sorry for the late reply, I was away on business !

1.) Middle - end of december youshould be prepared for facing fully winterly conditions in Vienna, which will defiently mean cold wind, very likely rain and poss. some snow already as well. The tempereture outside at night will definetly be below 0°C, so I would suggest you bring warm clothing and dress in layers so you can adjust to the weather. Good thing about the weather: There stands elling "Glüwein" and Punsch" on every cornerof the city, these are warm spicedwines, like mulled, very good for reheating :-)

2.) Yes, there is a main going out area, called the "bermuda triangle" in the old town with a few streets full of bars, it mainly stretches in the triangle from St. Stephans cathedral to "Schwedenplatz"-square and to "Rudolfsplatz"-square, approx. 1/2 mile X 1/2 mile, + there is a new going out mile along abig road outside the real absolute center called the "Gürtel, where you can find lots of bars. Anf Vienna has a hugeamount of pubs, with the best ones, in my opinion, beeing Charlie P´s, Molly Darcys, Flangans and "1516 The Brewing company", they are alway worth a visit as well.

3.) Regard. prices: A pint of local lager in a normal inn or pub in the city is now around € 3,50 / GBP 3,15, a soft drink € 2,50 / GBP 2,25, a "Wiener Schnitzel", our national dish, as a main course would be around € 11.- / GBP 9,90 and a piece of cake with a cup of coffee will cost you around € 5.- / GBP 4,50.- together. A single ride ticket at the public transport is € 1,90 / GBP 1,71 and a pack of Camel Filter 100 is € 4,00 / GBP 3,60, and by the way, you are still allowed to smoke in bars and pubs in Vienna mostly !

I hope this answers your questions for the beginning, if there is anything else, let me now !

Greetings, Fritz

EDN1CSC

Postby EDN1CSC » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks mate much appriciated.

irish eyes

Postby irish eyes » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:10 pm

Thanks for the info Fritz - I'm really looking forward to that trip. Cheers.

Return to “Main Forum”