Jaw-Jaw and The Argument of Force.

Main Forum Description
franton

Jaw-Jaw and The Argument of Force.

Postby franton » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:15 pm

In Time People Will Bow to Progress and Common Sense Will Prevail.

The Armistice Day that we fittingly commemorated recently, at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of November, reminded us that the Democratic Freedoms which we currently enjoy as our entitlement, were obtained by sacrifice - and in blood- by our Fathers before us. Freedom of Speech is an integral aspect of those Democratic Freedoms.

So, although I may not agree with your opinion; I do respect and uphold your Right to hold and articulate that opinion. Right?

Wrong!

When Force of Argument is supplanted and replaced by the Argument of Force, then Free Speech goes out of the window and Democracy loses out. If I have no argument to counter- balance your argument and I therefore refuse to listen to your argument, then Force overpowers Free Speech and with it, my right to hold that opinion. I have shut my ears, my eyes and my mind to your point of view: I have stopped listening and Democratic Liberties are taken. We are all the worse for it!

Hard issues which affect our democracy cannot be continually procastinated. They must be faced up to and in order to have them reconciled. That is the machinations of a modern democracy. To do otherwise is a dereliction of duty because it is our duty to understand the argument of the other! To ignore or to simply silence that argument would be a failure of democracy on our part and a denial of the Rights to which our Forefathers aspired.

Jaw-Jaw!

Remember: I do not agree with your opinion but I do respect and uphold your right to hold that opinion.

Peace Be With You.

Return to “Main Forum”