Has Celtic lost it's attraction ??, or Are some Players just interested in Money??

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
theword

Re: Has Celtic lost it's attraction ??, or Are some Players just interested in Money?

Postby theword » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Carntyne.
I support your view 100%, as regards securing the family's future.
I just don't buy into this "ambition" and "best league in the world" tosh.

the epl is the best league in the world fact not tosh and its the richest . the majority of worlds players want to play in the english premier for the money and the exposure the epl is the most watched league on the planet . you can ask the top six clubs in england premier title or champions league and they all say epl title first just another thing the english FA cup final is bigger than the champions league final and thats another fact .

do you think tony mowbray would have considered the celtic job if west brom were not relagated answer no, the only reason he took the job was pressure to get west brom back into the epl first time or he would be sacked .
its a shame celtic play in the spl you are a massive club and its a shame that your ambition is to beat rangers to the title if you were in the epl after maybe 5 years of consolidation you would be competing with the very best on and off the field

goin back to the main piont yes celtic have lost its attraction not because you are celtic but because the league you are in the spl .

Carntyne

Re: Has Celtic lost it's attraction ??, or Are some Players just interested in Money?

Postby Carntyne » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:06 pm

Although I think the Spanish league has now overtaken the EPL as the best league in the world, especially with the signings of Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo, there are pros and cons for playing for Celtic or an EPL side like Hull.

Let's take the money out of it. You play for Celtic you get to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world in terms of history, tradition and fanbase, you also have the chance of playing in the Champions League although it is not guaranteed every year and we definitely aren't favorites to get into the group stages this year and this is a big pull for players coming to Celtic. You are almost guaranteed to win trophies at Celtic.

The downsides, the SPL is a pretty poor league and playing teams four times a season is certainly not an attractive proposition, the whole set up of the SPL is very average if not worse and the SPL makes up the majority of games in the season. At best, you will play eight to ten Champions League games in a season with Celtic and as a player playing for Celtic you know as a team you are just making up the numbers in the Champions League as there isn't a hope in hell of Celtic winning it in modern day football.

As for Hull, you get to play in the English Premier League although as the same with Celtic and the Champions League, it isn't guaranteed every season. The EPL is certainly one of the top leagues, you get to play the top teams like Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea each twice in a season so this can be the equivalent to CL games for Celtic although Celtic won't face four teams of this quality in the CL, at best Celtic will play two teams of this quality.

The downsides, you will be fighting a relegation battle with Hull although if you survive it then some might say that surviving relegation with Hull is more of an achievement than winning the SPL with Celtic. You will not be playing European football with Hull. And, you will not be playing for a club as big as Celtic. You also have a very slim chance of winning any trophies.

If I have missed anything, feel free to add, but they are some of the pros and cons of playing for each club without bringing money into the argument.

Everything you say is correct...if you take the money out of things.

But you can't.

No player plays for nothing, not even the most diehard fan of a club would play for nothing.

It's his job, and he needs money to support himself and family.

Like any job, you go where you can best provide for your family.

End of.

theword

Postby theword » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:18 pm

just a qestion would you say owen coyle was greedy or ambitious

he was offered the celtic job so were a few others , he turned celtic down was it greed or was he just ambitous to stay and play against the top mangers in the world .

well a few poelple on this forum would consider him the same as the players greed , but like the the players it all about the biggest stage .

Tripe

Postby Tripe » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Everything you say is correct...if you take the money out of things.

But you can't.

No player plays for nothing, not even the most diehard fan of a club would play for nothing.

It's his job, and he needs money to support himself and family.

Like any job, you go where you can best provide for your family.

End of.

I was taking money out of it in response to jbd's post as to why would someone choose Hull over Celtic other than money. I know money is a pretty big factor, but there are times when players will choose teams like Hull over Celtic just for footballing reasons and I really do believe that, I don't believe that every footballer has money as their priority.

Joe O'Rourke

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:22 pm

Well this thread has certainly created some interest, i could agree with everything thats been said. But i also think that it shouldn't always be about money, Glasgow Celtic play in a small league, no one could disagree with that, but they play in a certain way which makes them attractive to football purist's. Henrik Larsson, who i have already mentioned could have left Celtic a couple of times during his seven year stint, he didn't because the way Celtic play suited his game, another i have mentioned Shunsuke Nakamura has went to Spain for less money than Celtic offered because it was an ambition to play there. Finally, the downside of signing for money, Liam Millar came into the Celtic first team, played a few games and looked a decent prospect, Celtic offered him £20,000 a week to sign a new contract, he chose to go to Manchester Utd for £25,000 a week, where is he now??

theword

Postby theword » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:29 pm

Well this thread has certainly created some interest, i could agree with everything thats been said. But i also think that it shouldn't always be about money, Glasgow Celtic play in a small league, no one could disagree with that, but they play in a certain way which makes them attractive to football purist's. Henrik Larsson, who i have already mentioned could have left Celtic a couple of times during his seven year stint, he didn't because the way Celtic play suited his game, another i have mentioned Shunsuke Nakamura has went to Spain for less money than Celtic offered because it was an ambition to play there. Finally, the downside of signing for money, Liam Millar came into the Celtic first team, played a few games and looked a decent prospect, Celtic offered him £20,000 a week to sign a new contract, he chose to go to Manchester Utd for £25,000 a week, where is he now??

the problem is that football as been taken away from the die hard supporter satalite tv is to blame . whats your opinion on the way forward for the spl would you consider intergrating with the english leagues it would make a very competitive format, im sure a very attractive and great product.

jbd

Postby jbd » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:25 pm

[SIZE=3:2e58766e]The word.[/SIZE:2e58766e]
[SIZE=3:2e58766e]We can agree to disagree about which is the best league in the world or which is the biggest cup final.[/SIZE:2e58766e]
[SIZE=3:2e58766e]After all, it’s all about opinions and I respect yours, even if I don’t agree with it. However, your comment…”the majority of world’s players want to play in the English premier for the money…” kind of supports my point, I would think.[/SIZE:2e58766e]
[SIZE=3:2e58766e]As regards Coyle…if indeed he did turn Celtic down (we only have the tabloids word for this. Sounding someone out about whether or not they would be interested in the job, is not the same as offering it.), then NO, I don’t think he was being greedy. He simply stayed in England, as he would have a bigger budget with which to build a team, than he would have at Celtic (money rears it’s ugly head, again).[/SIZE:2e58766e]
[SIZE=3:2e58766e]I don’t think he will earn more money personally in his present job than he would at Celtic.[/SIZE:2e58766e]
[SIZE=3:2e58766e]As I said, it’s all about opinions.[/SIZE:2e58766e]
[SIZE=3:2e58766e]Agree with you, by the way, as regards satelite TV.[/SIZE:2e58766e]

[SIZE=3:2e58766e]Tripe.[/SIZE:2e58766e]
[SIZE=3:2e58766e]I think you sum it up quite well.[/SIZE:2e58766e]
[SIZE=3:2e58766e]However, if we take money out of the equation , then I think I would rather look back on my career and remember cup finals and championships than relegation battles.[/SIZE:2e58766e]
[SIZE=3:2e58766e]Just my opinion, mind.[/SIZE:2e58766e]
[SIZE=3:2e58766e]Hail hail.[/SIZE:2e58766e]

CELTIC END

Postby CELTIC END » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:25 pm

Hello Everyone ,
I would just like to agree with this post if he was any good would he still be playing for Nancy at 28 years of age ?.

H.H.
Celtic End

RedditchBhoy

Postby RedditchBhoy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:41 pm

It must come down to money, Hull i presume have offered slightly more of a transfer fee ( of which he gets a nice cut )and better wages, although which ever club he signs for he surely will be set up financially for life.
Perhaps he thinks that being in the EPL will put him the shop window, playing in the Champions league would certainly be a better opportunity to show off his talents. Celtic and Hull are Poles apart in stature and i have a feeling it could be deja vu for him next seasons end.
Anyway i don't think many clubs were going overboard about him and i trust the new management will bring in players who are hungry to get it on and wear The Hoops with the pride and passion we do.

First time here, here's to many more posts

Jambobhoy100

Postby Jambobhoy100 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:23 pm

It is a sad day when players such as Fortune and now Fletcher consider Hull & Burnley respectivaly as bigger clubs than Celtic? Surley a shot at Champions League & chance to win things not to mention massive crowds & old firms is better than a relegation battle and losing heavily to the so called bigger teams??

The lack of transfer activiaty at Parkhead as well as lack of quality player willing to play at Parkhead troubles me

Return to “CSA News”