Has Celtic lost it's attraction ??, or Are some Players just interested in Money??

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

Has Celtic lost it's attraction ??, or Are some Players just interested in Money??

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:35 pm

I would have thought that any professional footballer considering a move to Glasgow Celtic would have lots to think about. Lets for example use Marc-Antoine Fortune, Celtic's interest has been well documented thanks to his previous working relationship with new Celtic Boss Tony Mowbray. Celtic would undoubtedly be the biggest team he has played for in his career so far. So what does he have to consider ??, the stature of the team who wants to sign him, their stadia, where they play (country), European football, chances of winning trophies, who his team mates will be, will he improve as a footballer thus enhancing his reputation, their fans, and of course last but by no means least his contract, how much ??, and for how long ??.
It would appear at least at the outset, that Marc-Antoine is considering only one thing and that's how much he can earn, well at least his agent is, if that's his total committment to the Celtic cause, i'm afraid i would be looking elsewhere, if we cant compete with Hull City for a player of that standard then we really are going backwards, i hope i'm wrong in this because big Shetland Pony thinks he's worth having in our team, so i'm happy to go along with that.
Maybe Marc-Antoine should think of the players who have came to Celtic when their career's seemed to be faltering, he only has to ask Shunsuke Nakamura or Henrik Larsson for some advice.
One thing is certain, Celtic will improve and win trophies next season, will Marc-Antoine Fortune???.

theword

Re: Has Celtic lost it's attraction ??, or Are some Players just interested in Money?

Postby theword » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:43 pm

I would have thought that any professional footballer considering a move to Glasgow Celtic would have lots to think about. Lets for example use Marc-Antoine Fortune, Celtic's interest has been well documented thanks to his previous working relationship with new Celtic Boss Tony Mowbray. Celtic would undoubtedly be the biggest team he has played for in his career so far. So what does he have to consider ??, the stature of the team who wants to sign him, their stadia, where they play (country), European football, chances of winning trophies, who his team mates will be, will he improve as a footballer thus enhancing his reputation, their fans, and of course last but by no means least his contract, how much ??, and for how long ??.
It would appear at least at the outset, that Marc-Antoine is considering only one thing and that's how much he can earn, well at least his agent is, if that's his total committment to the Celtic cause, i'm afraid i would be looking elsewhere, if we cant compete with Hull City for a player of that standard then we really are going backwards, i hope i'm wrong in this because big Shetland Pony thinks he's worth having in our team, so i'm happy to go along with that.
Maybe Marc-Antoine should think of the players who have came to Celtic when their career's seemed to be faltering, he only has to ask Shunsuke Nakamura or Henrik Larsson for some advice.
One thing is certain, Celtic will improve and win trophies next season, will Marc-Antoine Fortune???.

money is not the qestion its a matter of selling yourself in the best league in the world .Marc-Antoine only played for west brom to put him self in the shop window mowbray said that him self so a other premier club would buy him , its a shame cetic are playing in the spl you would be better off playin in our epl .

mowbray only attracted young up and coming footballers who would use the premier league as a platform for them selfs for future transfers.
In the end mowbray got west brom relagated we finshed bottom i know tony as strong links with celtic but you must ask yourselfs this , if at the end of the season you finish third and no trohpys would you celtic fans give him a standing ovation , i think not . but we did, i wish him all the best on is new adventure.

Tripe

Re: Has Celtic lost it's attraction ??, or Are some Players just interested in Money?

Postby Tripe » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:18 pm

Football has changed so much in the last four or five years with the now rich English Premier League basically distorting the market, when Celtic come up against any Premier League team for a player then it's pretty certain what the player will choose as not only does the player get to play in one of the best leagues in the world, they will also be pretty sure to get a huge wage packet every week which Celtic just can't compete with unfortunately.

On this occasion we had more of a chance because his former manager had come to Celtic, but even that can't persuade some players to part with the cash that is on offer in the English Premier League.

Even mediocre, run of the mill players are going for huge prices in the English market and the wages are also the same so maybe five to ten years ago we could go down to England and buy some pretty good players in Hartson, Sutton and Thompson, but now we can't even compete with the lower end Premier League clubs and even some Championship clubs never mind going down there looking to buy players.

It's unfortunate, but this is the way it is at the moment and we can only hope that the English market eventually crashes and restores some normality to the transfer market.

jimbob

Postby jimbob » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:07 pm

Its the Money nothing more nothing less.................:island::island::island:

theword

Postby theword » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:32 pm

Its the Money nothing more nothing less.................:island::island::island:

looks like celtic will miss out on fletcher to the clarets .
there good players in the championship maybe mowbray will go back to west brom but there is still the big transfer fees which jeremy peace will demand , can celtic find that sort of cash after the collapse a satanta.

jbd

Postby jbd » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:31 pm

The word.
By "the best league in the world", I take it that you are talking about Champions League?
No? Didn't think so.
If the EPL is the "best league in the world", then please explain why the best player from the best team would "sell himself" to an inferior league and not even to the best team in that league, at that.
I'll answer that one, myself.
MONEY!!!
Ambition doesn't come into it.

Carntyne

Postby Carntyne » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:43 am

This question is posed from a supporters point of view.

Most players will realise what a relatively short career football is, and the fact that even that short career could be ended anytime by serious injury.

So most will opt for the money, using the head, rather than the glory following the heart.

Jimmy Johnstone had all the glory playing for Celtic, but was driving a van for a living in his thirties.

Football players are just like the rest of us, seeking to look after their family's future.

There isn't a single person I know who wouldn't take a job that paid higher wages...for any reason.

Supporters of football clubs see only their own selfish point of view.

jbd

Postby jbd » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:49 am

Carntyne.
I support your view 100%, as regards securing the family's future.
I just don't buy into this "ambition" and "best league in the world" tosh.

Tripe

Postby Tripe » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Carntyne.
I just don't buy into this "ambition" and "best league in the world" tosh.

Although I think the Spanish league has now overtaken the EPL as the best league in the world, especially with the signings of Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo, there are pros and cons for playing for Celtic or an EPL side like Hull.

Let's take the money out of it. You play for Celtic you get to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world in terms of history, tradition and fanbase, you also have the chance of playing in the Champions League although it is not guaranteed every year and we definitely aren't favorites to get into the group stages this year and this is a big pull for players coming to Celtic. You are almost guaranteed to win trophies at Celtic.

The downsides, the SPL is a pretty poor league and playing teams four times a season is certainly not an attractive proposition, the whole set up of the SPL is very average if not worse and the SPL makes up the majority of games in the season. At best, you will play eight to ten Champions League games in a season with Celtic and as a player playing for Celtic you know as a team you are just making up the numbers in the Champions League as there isn't a hope in hell of Celtic winning it in modern day football.

As for Hull, you get to play in the English Premier League although as the same with Celtic and the Champions League, it isn't guaranteed every season. The EPL is certainly one of the top leagues, you get to play the top teams like Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea each twice in a season so this can be the equivalent to CL games for Celtic although Celtic won't face four teams of this quality in the CL, at best Celtic will play two teams of this quality.

The downsides, you will be fighting a relegation battle with Hull although if you survive it then some might say that surviving relegation with Hull is more of an achievement than winning the SPL with Celtic. You will not be playing European football with Hull. And, you will not be playing for a club as big as Celtic. You also have a very slim chance of winning any trophies.

If I have missed anything, feel free to add, but they are some of the pros and cons of playing for each club without bringing money into the argument.

Carntyne

Postby Carntyne » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Carntyne.
I just don't buy into this [B:00510829]"ambition" and "best league in the world" tosh.[/B:00510829]

You're right, it's just a load of hype.

If Fortune signs for Hull, I for one won't be disappointed.

It would be a narrow escape in my opinion.

He hasn't scored more than a handful of goals for Nancy or WBA in ANY season, so I really don't know why we're chasing him.

Return to “CSA News”