Press get it wrong again

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
jimbob

Press get it wrong again

Postby jimbob » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:08 pm

In the three days build up to this game, I was fed up reading in the Scottish press just what a waste of time it was for Celtic to turn up at Ibrox on Saturday. Rangers would definitely peg us back to one point. McGeady's absence would be crucial. Strachan was risking his job on a piece of man management few doubted would pay off.

Some of the papers had four pages full of why Rangers would win.

But somebody forgot to mention it to our players. They ignored the fact Celtic had the chance to go seven points clear, forgot to mention that Celtic had a host of players back from Injury, like McManus, Hartley, and Robson. They also forgot that Scott McDonald was now getting back to his best form.

It is just as well games are not played out in the media; we would be relegated every year. Despite the speculation as to how many goals Boyd would score and what they would do to us, I must admit I have never been so confident of beating Rangers at Ibrox as I was today. I have a few friends who for their sins are Rangers fans, and go every week to watch them. They have been saying all season that this is one of the poorest Rangers sides in years and thought if Celtic got the tactics right and played to only half their capabilities that we would win.

The horror show at Parkhead earlier in the season now seems a distant memory. Yesterday, Strachan got it spot on and in the Hoops there were only heroes.

I must congratulate the Green Brigade on their confetti show at the start of the game. Not only did it look fantastic (and gave the Ibrox ground staff a helluva mess to clean up), but it really got the Celtic Fans in the mood.

The Huns were on top for the majority of the first half but failed to break the deadlock, although they had an appeal for a penalty waved away after the ball struck Gary Caldwell’s hand. It would have been soft. Celtic always looked in control but did give the ball away too easily. During the half time break the Rangers fans really showed themselves up for what they are, once again polluting the City of Glasgow and Scotland with their filth. They unfurled banners with an ambulance with Tommy Burns. Banners with BJK, and banners with a road sign with Stranraer this way. What where the police doing, and how did they get them in? They continue to justify the tag Scotland's Shame. The second half started the same as the first, Celtic putting themselves under pressure by giving the ball away too easily. Celtic broke clear and a long ball from Caldwell found Samaras, who flicked it on with his head to McDonald and he controlled it well on his chest before spinning easily past Broadfoot and sending a ferocious volley into the top corner of the net. What a goal!!

It reminded me of a similar strike from Larsson some years ago; the number seven jersey might finally have found a player worthy of it.

Celtic cruised through the rest of the game and could have added a second when Samaras could not head properly across from Hartley in front of goal. But no Celtic player could be faulted for their effort. And they showed their delight at the end as they celebrated with the fans.

Seven points now separate the sides, as we head for the crucial January transfer window. Celtic look set to strengthen. Rangers have talked about shedding as many as ten players, if they can find buyers for them. With a solid lead in the bank now, it looks like we might have a very Happy New Year.

RANGERS 0
CELTIC 1(McDonald 57)

WEBSITE MAN OF THE MATCH: Scott Brown

RANGERS (4-4-2) McGregor; Whittaker (Novo 75), Weir, Broadfoot, Papac; Davis, Mendes, Ferguson, Adam (Lafferty 62); Boyd, Miller.

Subs: Alexander, McCulloch, Dailly, Niguez, Fleck.

CELTIC (4-4-2) Boruc; Hinkel (Wilson 46), Caldwell, McManus, Naylor; Robson, S Brown, Hartley, Mizuno (O’Dea 62); McDonald, Samaras.

Subs: M Brown, Loovens, Crosas, Hutchinson, Vennegoor of Hesselink

Return to “CSA News”