History makers and a Bobby Lennox Statue.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

History makers and a Bobby Lennox Statue.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:55 pm

What a fantastic achievement for the team to beat the record of unbeaten games held by the Greatest Team in Scottish Football History, The Lisbon Lions, and indeed the Greatest Football Club in the World, and in Brendan’s first season to boot.

It was a sensational way to beat the record yesterday, considering we had to play without a recognised striker, and without three or four other players who would normally be first picks in the team, and against a Hearts team who sit fourth in the League and normally give us a very hard game.

It was one of the those games when there were no failures in the team, every single player played well, but I would have to say that the two full backs Cristian Gamboa and Kieron Tierney were both outstanding.

So the team beat the record held by the Lions, but its took fifty years to do it, and some very good Celtic Teams didn’t even get close, which makes it all the more remarkable.

One of those Famous Lisbon Lions is still making headlines in his home town of Saltcoats, The Buzz Bomb Bobby Lennox, Bobby was born and still lives in Saltcoats, he will be 74 on August 30th this year.

The local residents are raising funds to erect a statue of Bobby in the town, which I believe is a fantastic idea, and there is no-one more worthy than Lemon. Bobby is Celtic’s second highest goal scorer, which is remarkable considering he wasn’t a central striker.

Bobby won eleven league titles, a record eight Scottish Cups, five League Cups, ten Scotland Caps, and of course the Big One, The Cup with the Big Ears, like most of the Lions, they were not rewarded with Scottish Caps as much as they should have been, to the eternal shame of those involved.

I see Bobby at every home match, he has not changed a bit, always smiling, none more so than when in the company of his Lions Brothers, and players who came after that, like George Mc Cluskey, Dixie Deans, Tommy Callaghan, and Evan Williams.

The Celtic Supporters Association are delighted to support this wonderful initiative. We would encourage anyone who can afford it to make a donation. I could talk and write all day about Wee Bobby, he epitomises everything that is Great about our Club. We wish the Committee every success in their fund raising. Incidentally, but not surprising, it is not just Celtic Supporters who are on the fund raising committee, Bobby was popular with all true football supporters.

Below is the link to the fund raising Facebook Page, and the link to the crowd funding page.

https://www.facebook.com/bobbylennox67/

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/bobby-lenn ... e-campaign

Return to “CSA News”