Champions League Here We Come

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

Champions League Here We Come

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:44 am

Well we got there in the end, but “Phew” what a rollercoaster journey that was. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter how you get there, just make sure that you do get there. We are now back where we belong, “The Champions League”.

We now have seven days to bring in the players that will make us a credible challenge to the top teams in Europe. Just getting to the group stages is not enough for a team like Celtic, we should be aiming at going further than that, although playing in Scotland doesn’t help our cause.

All the teams that competed in the SPL last season will benefit from Celtic going through, although none of them have helped with the co-efficient, I believe they will receive around £250,000 each, good money for each and every one of them.

Celtic have already played twelve competitive matches and we are still in the month of August. I know Brendan wants a smaller squad and I certainly agree, but there will be huge games ahead for us, and although all the teams except the new team will benefit financially, not one of them will be out to help us progress, and rightly so, we need to do it under our own steam.

I don’t know what the perfect squad size would be, the game has certainly changed since sixteen players managed to win the European Cup in 1967. I believe we will bring in two marquee signings, getting top class players to come to Scotland might be the problem, but I’m sure Brendan can be very persuasive, he did it with Scott Sinclair who looks like a class player.

Aberdeen on Saturday will once again represent a challenge, they have become hard to beat under McInnes, though we have normally handled them quite well at Celtic Park. We then have the International break weekend before playing the newest team in the SPFL.

It must be a comfort to them to know that Dodgy Dave King has promised to put in the same amount of money as Celtic stand to make competing in the Champions League, I wonder if the Face Painter has been paid yet, no laughing at the back now.

We Celtic Supporters can now look forward to hearing Zadok the Priest at least another six times before Christmas. And while we listen to the £30m music, Sevco will be listening to “Penny Arcade” with the emphasis on the Penny Part, Happy Days for the Celtic Family.

A final word on Craig Thomson, the referee who thrives on cheating Celtic. It now appears he has snubbed the SPFL’s biggest sponsor BT Sport. If our club was to break the contractual obligation to a sponsor I’m sure there would be repercussions, I’m sure we have had problems in the past with some of the commentators. I say our club, because obviously the new team has a problem with BBC but it doesn’t seem to be a problem for the authorities.

According to the media BT are demanding urgent talks for clarification on the rules with regard to live broadcasting. It also appears that Thomson will escape any punishment for his snub to the sponsors. It just shows you what chance we have with complaining about the “Honest Mistakes” when one of the so-called top officials can do what he likes with impunity, Neil Lennon and Brendan Rodgers take note.

Europe’s Green & White.

Return to “CSA News”