The Poppy Bullies are at it again.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

The Poppy Bullies are at it again.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:12 pm

Well it’s that time of the year again, when instead of recognising people’s right to freedom of thought and action; the “Poppy Bullies” pour scorn and bile on people who refuse to conform to their way of thinking.

James McClean is an obvious target once again. I greatly admire James for refusing to bend his knee to the internet trolls who spout venomous comments at him on all the social media outlets.

The official leader of the opposition Jeremy Corbyn has had plenty of flak since he took power. Now Sienna Miller is in the firing line (excuse the pun) for not wearing a poppy on the Graham Norton show.

This Sunday at Dingwall the Celtic travelling support will be put under the spotlight. The very people who Ronny Deila had a go at last week will be poised to strike at the first line of any Irish Song being sung by our support.

All the nonsense we get from Tory MP’s in particular about respecting the fallen; how many of them or their offspring have volunteered to fight in foreign countries? I think you will find it will be the working class men and women who do the fighting; the very same people the Tory Austerity Policy affects most.

I wish more Irish Players would have the courage to do what James McClean does; he stands up for his own community; and refuses to pay tribute to those who caused them great harm and distress; “Bloody Sunday” being the prime example.

How do so-called stars of stage and screen see themselves when they have no freedom of choice or expression as to whether they wear a poppy on any television show at this time of year? Are these people so insecure that they just follow the instructions? Or is it a case of they don’t want ridiculed in the media for having the guts to make their own decisions like James.

I don’t wear a poppy; and I certainly don’t have a problem with anyone who does wear one; if they do so for the right reason that is. But i certainly won’t be lectured by people trying to put me down for not wearing one; and certainly not from people who have been wearing the same one for ten years contributing nothing to the cause they claim to support so strongly.

This week at Dingwall i believe there is a Remembrance Day Parade in the town; and all the shops will be closed until after the parade ends.

I also believe there will be a minutes silence before kick-off; if any of our supporters don’t want to take part in that for whatever reason; then i would suggest they stay outside the ground until it’s over; or just sit in silence with your own thoughts.

I’m sure over on the other side of Glasgow we will see another show of triumphalism at its worst. A show full of sectarian singing which will go unpunished by Scotland’s Finest. And all done supposedly in support of people who fought and died for Freedom from oppression.

Re: The Poppy Bullies are at it again.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:35 pm

what a load of crap anyone in our country should respect it and wear the poppy
if for some odd reason i was ireland and they wanted me to wear something to
say they won a war with england out of respect i would wear it
now im a rangers fan but im from england and we have respect

Joe O'Rourke

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:16 pm

so no freedom of choice then.... Respect ???????????

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:49 pm

This is a fairly sober take on what has become an annual bun-fight, an embarrasing one for all concerned I feel.
I understand why anyone affected directly or indirectly by the blunt end of British foreign policy would not chime in with the clearly mawkish
tone adopted by the UK media and distasteful triumphalism of some. That's obvious to me and it should be to everyone else, so I agree with the quiet abstinence suggested here.

I'm a Scottish born Celtic fan of Irish descent; the grandchild of someone who spent 4 years from his family to fight fascism in the 40's.
Each and every year I remember him and others and yes I do support the poppy appeal for that sole reason. I'm conscious that British scars run deep across the water, I lived in all parts of Ireland for over ten years and my
understanding of Anglo/Irish relations are the better for it. The Irish are a progressive, confident people. A generation gone from some of the public rhetoric
we are tarred with every year by a section of the support.

I'll never assume my views on my fellow celtic fans, in fact I would protect their right to believe the exact opposite.
My problem lies when public, audible protest is assumed to speak for the entire support, which clearly it doesn't.

My Grandfather stood in line when others did not. Some decendents of whom can be found blasting cannons and hi-fiving under union flags.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:10 pm

Live not far from Dingwall. People are sound and would in general rather see green and white scarves in town rather than red,white and blue. There is a big remebrance parade here and always is. As per your point though that is because the cannon fodder came from the Highland glens and communities disappeared as the dead of the first and second worldwars decimated communities. A bit like Ireland the clearances of the 18th and 19th centuries are remembered couple dwith the deaths of the fallen in the world wars then the toll has been horrific on the communities. I am sure that the Celtic support will respect the locals and appreciate that Celtic in town is a a twice a year treat for the north fans who appreciate the style of football and the size of CFC.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:12 pm

Joe, I fully accept your right not to wear a poppy. I just wish that everyone would defend my right to wear one. As a season ticket holder of many, many years, a republican and as a father of 2 serving soldiers I wear my poppy every year on my Celtic scarf and am sick to the back teeth of the abuse I get from Celtic fans. I wear the poppy to remind me of the men who fought and died in the 2 great wars (including Celtic players and fans) and the friends of my boys who have died in recent wars.

I don't wear it to make a political comment on the justification or moral correctness of any war but to remember those who have died - a humanitarian action. So my opinion of those that abuse me and many others who wear a poppy and who abuse a minutes silence is that they should take a good look at themselves and consider, just for a moment, the many thousands of men and women who have died. The poppy isn't simply a memorial for those British soldiers involved in atrocities in Northern Ireland or elsewhere and to view it as such is naive and doing a great disservice to many dead service men and women!

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:30 pm

Joe, I read you all of the time and you speak a lot of sense. However despite the light touch tone of your piece, you have let yourself down this time. Poppies are not celebratory or respecting the army in any sense. They represent people who made the ultimate sacrifice...and yes for people like you and me. I hope that one day the Celtic bhigots can learn to behave in a good (Christian)? Manner and show respect. The world has moved on but the CSC has seemingly not. Also, there should be no politicising of our club or its directors nor condemnation of particular beliefs. I am ashamed at the behaviour of some of our fans. IRA songs are outdated and reflecting a penchant for violence. Time to move on. No personal offence Joe.
Ghod be with you!

Return to “CSA News”