A Scottish Referee makes history, but for the wrong reason.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

A Scottish Referee makes history, but for the wrong reason.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:20 am

There were two Champions League last 16 matches last night, and UEFA through their totally incompetent referees managed to spoil it for one team Shakhtar Donetsk. Referee Willie Collum awarding a penalty and sending a player off within three minutes (a Champions League record); that led to them losing 7-0. The same could have happened to another team Paris Saint Germain; again a player wrongly red carded.

What a display by PSG playing for about 90 minutes with ten men against what a lot of commentators believe is the best team in the English Premier League; Chelsea. PSG only by their great desire and undoubted skill they managed to overcome the harsh penalty wrongly imposed upon them.

All Celtic supporters know about Willie Collum; he is head of the Muppet Department of referees appointed by the SFA/SPFL. We have had plenty of experience of this strutting incompetent who was groomed for infamy by his mentor Hugh Dallas; who I believe must still be looking after him.

I well remember the days when it was almost impossible to be sent off in a cup tie; cup ties were nearly always ferocious battles because of what was at stake. But referees acknowledged that and let the game flow unless something really serious took place. It would be interesting to look back on statistics from early European Cup Competitions and compare the crime count of red and yellow cards.

I wonder how many players Athletico Madrid would have finished the match against us in 1974; or the same with Racing Club in 1967; i suspect both games would have been abandoned before half-time.

I have to say something about Jose Mourinho’s comments after the match, although he did say PSG deserved to win. He also said they were simulating injury and wasting time as they tried to close the game out.

Jose needs to go and watch the DVD of his Porto team in Seville in the UEFA Cup Final of 2003; something that Jamie Carragher commented on last night on Sky Sports. Make no mistake Porto were a very good football team and didn’t need to play act their way to victory. If they had played to their capabilities and beaten us convincingly; i would have applauded them as the better team.

But the actions of goalkeeper Vitor Baia, Deco, Capucho, and worst of all Derlei were appalling; and blatant cheating. Good players don’t normally act in that manner; they have to taught and coached to play that way; and the blame for that lies firmly at the feet of Mourinho.

Referees need to be strong and above all honest to stand up to the cheaters in football. Football is an entertainment business, and supporters pay big money to attend. What would you think if you went to see your favourite band play and the stage manager sends the singer from the stage after singing one song?

The SFA/SPFL need to get a grip and stop hiding. Supporters are fed up with excuses and Honest Mistakes. At least they had the guts to replace Thomson and Chambers from our Scottish Cup replay; but replaced Thomson with Calum Murray; and worse still we have Bobby Madden on Sunday. I really do despair.

Re: A Scottish Referee makes history, but for the wrong reason.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Ho Joe,

Quite often read your posts, enjoy the content and respect your opinion. In the blog below, however I don't agree with your opinion that Willie Collum spoilt the game. The defender made the mistake and paid the price, I think Willie Collum got the call spot on. In my opinion it was 100% a penalty, last man who denied the striker a clear goal scoring opportunity and he had no option but to send him off. That is the rules as we all know them.

Joe O'Rourke

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:27 pm

I tend to agree with you, it's UEFA's directions problem. But I think if a player makes an honest attempt to win the ball; then by all means award the penalty; but no red card; double punishment. We need to stop no-contest games.

Kiwibhoy

Postby Kiwibhoy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:11 pm

Or get referees from outside Scotland - swapping the local ones with refs who haven't been affected by the atmosphere in Scottish football; and then seeing if the local refs are as bad as we think they are, by seeing how they do down south.

I was watching the Italy-Wales rugby game this afternoon - the ref and some of the match officials were from New Zealand. His exchanges with the TMO (television match official) were included in the audio feed for the correspondence, as were his comments to individual players. So: more accountable and absolutely no disputing the ref's judgements (the TMO sorted out a couple of troublesome calls, and the replay evidence was clear). Would this work in football?

Return to “CSA News”