When is a Hate Crime not a Hate Crime?

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

When is a Hate Crime not a Hate Crime?

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:16 pm

When is a hate crime not a hate crime? When it’s one ex Scotland International football player talking about a present day Irish International football player.

Gordon McQueen’s comments regarding Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy were of an extreme and shocking nature, and not worthy of any respected person in any walk of life. To say you hate someone for any reason is a very strong statement; but when it’s to do with sport it’s hard to comprehend. Or is it really not about sport? But something more sinister.

One thing is for sure Aiden and James will feel right at home being booed in Scotland; they got booed here all through their careers; especially Aiden because he made matters worse by having the audacity to play for Celtic Football Club.

I wonder how the English born players in the Scotland squad feel about the comments; or even some of the former players; some of whom were team mates of McQueen; maybe calling them team mates is stretching it a bit.

It is widely agreed throughout the world of football that you can qualify to play for the country of your Grandparents; and Mr McQueen certainly knows that. Most of the players transferred from England to the other four teams in close proximity to each other; i think the reasons for that are fairly obvious.

I think in terms of football there aren’t any problems within the game, just a rivalry that you would expect when neighbours compete against each other. Some of the matches have more tension than others; like Scotland v England and the match between the two teams representing the Island of Ireland.

Its a good job McQueen isn’t Polish, what would he have had to say about Miroslav Klose and Lukas Podolski; both born in Poland; but chose to play for their former enemy Germany, or Brazilian Players like Deco playing for Portugal, or Eduardo playing for Croatia.

I don’t think this is the case in this instance, but in bygone days it wasn’t easy to get capped for Scotland if you went to a certain school; or played for Celtic FC, Jinky Johnstone won 23 caps; and Bobby Murdoch got 12; Bertie Auld who gave a master class display against Billy Bremner and Johnny Giles in the unofficial Battle of Britain got 3 caps.

So you have to ask yourself this, if Aiden and James had elected to play for the team that represents the northern part of the Island of Ireland; would they get subjected to a “Horrible Reception” as suggested by McQueen? Or if they had played for another team that died a couple of years ago, would they be making the right choice; although i doubt they would be playing for the Republic of Ireland.

Return to “CSA News”