No change at the SFA/SPFL no transparency or accountability.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

No change at the SFA/SPFL no transparency or accountability.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:27 pm

I have tried for quite some time now not to comment on what goes on at the club formally known as Rangers Football Club, just why it continues to be known by that name is confusing but not surprising.

When Stewart Regan took over at the SFA i was optimistic that a new governing body, which was honest and transparent in its workings, was what we were going to get. No more blazered brethren running our professional game in Scotland, I have to admit I was wrong, and I’m very disappointed to have to say that.

When Rangers went into liquidation in October 2012 they had done so with very substantial debts to hundreds of different companies. It was claimed they owed around £140 million to 276 victims of their financial lunacy.

Now any company which wanted to begin to trade again with any sense of morality would put a plan in place to try to repay all those victims, and indeed any organisation which had control over whether the company was allowed to trade again should make that repayment a part of the deal.

But that wasn’t the case. In the first instance the SFA/SPL wanted to just let Rangers carry on in the Premier League, but that was kyboshed by the chairmen of all the other clubs with the exception of Kilmarnock. They then tried to let them start in the old First Division, but again the rest of the clubs voted against that route.

There were all sorts of deals being proposed behind closed doors, and all were in favour of giving Sevco FC the best chance of playing at the highest level in Scottish Football, but it was the football supporters in Scotland who put a stop to that, not the toothless SFA/SPL.

The SFA/SPL colluded to let Sevco continue to be known as Rangers FC, they colluded to let them keep their history, they colluded to influence UEFA to acknowledge Rangers FC, how can a team that was liquidated claim to have the same history? But not the same debts?

They continue to show a support to the Sevco financial plight which they have never shown to any other club in Scotland. Other clubs have went into administration, or been liquidated in Scotland, but they were left to get on with it, not given a financial boost at every opportunity.

Let’s take the case of the cup competitions last season, and I know that Celtic FC benefitted from those completions by being chosen to host the Final of both the League Cup and Scottish Cup.

The only reason for using Hampden Park for Cup Finals and Semi-Finals is because Of its neutrality, in terms of being a worthy sporting arena if fails miserably, you would not put it in the top 100 European Stadiums, it is the third best stadium in Scotland, after Celtic park and Murrayfield.

So when Hampden was out of commission due to the Commonwealth Games, why weren’t the Semi-Finals played at Celtic Park? Because it is clearly the biggest and best stadium in Scotland, the only answer to that can be, the SFA/SPFL wanted to help out Sevco with the money to hire the stadium, the same can be said of playing International matches at Ibrox, it is not a worthy arena.

Now getting back to the debts owed by Sevco FC. Why was there not some sort of agreement put in place to make sure that the debts owed would be honoured, no matter how long it took?

Why is this club allowed to continue to spend vast amounts of money on staff contracts and bonuses, when small businesses were also forced into liquidation because the money they were owed was not paid by Rangers?

Why if the SFA/SPFL continues to pay Sevco for the rent of their ground do they not withhold a percentage of the fee to go towards paying some of their debts, the whole situation is an embarrassment to Scottish Football.

And now we have the latest fiasco with Mike Ashley getting further involved, although I’m not really that bothered about who is in charge of Sevco FC, but it’s making daily headlines in the Scottish Media for all the wrong reasons.

There has been a deafening silence from the SFA/SPFL with regards to what is going on at Sevco. I think Stewart Regan and Neil Doncaster have lost any support they had with the ordinary everyday football supporter.

It seems that not much has changed at all within the corridors of power over at Hampden, things are still done behind closed doors, and there is a distinct lack of transparency and accountability, even when Celtic Managers and Players are getting assaulted at a worryingly alarming frequency, you could hear a pin drop.

Re: No change at the SFA/SPFL no transparency or accountability.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:31 pm

I read with interest this article and what it means to football supporters in Scotland. There are numerous questions still not being answered here. The main one is fairness and playing within the rules written down. I do not follow Newcastle although I live nearby, and it is common knowledge that Mike Ashley runs Newcastle football club in an autocratic manner. The Rules , as I believe do not allow him to be director/shareholder of more than one club. How then is he being allowed to do this openly and without challenge. If he is operating within the rules then this should not attract so much media attention , he is after all an astute businessman. If the rules are being broken or manipulated then surely there should be transparency in the media to explain what is going on. I have read but don't know if it is true that a team has not yet had audited accounts passed. If this is correct then why are Scottish football supporters not up in arms and asking questions at every turn. Until this happens then I am afraid Scottish football will no doubt be held in low esteem. A stand has to be made somewhere and answers need clarifying.Until then we will have the media circus.Those who govern should stand accountable.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:23 am

I have tried for quite some time now not to comment on what goes on at the club formally known as Rangers Football Club, just why it continues to be known by that name is confusing but not surprising.

When Stewart Regan took over at the SFA i was optimistic that a new governing body, which was honest and transparent in its workings, was what we were going to get. No more blazered brethren running our professional game in Scotland, I have to admit I was wrong, and I’m very disappointed to have to say that.

When Rangers went into liquidation in October 2012 they had done so with very substantial debts to hundreds of different companies. It was claimed they owed around £140 million to 276 victims of their financial lunacy.

Now any company which wanted to begin to trade again with any sense of morality would put a plan in place to try to repay all those victims, and indeed any organisation which had control over whether the company was allowed to trade again should make that repayment a part of the deal.

But that wasn’t the case. In the first instance the SFA/SPL wanted to just let Rangers carry on in the Premier League, but that was kyboshed by the chairmen of all the other clubs with the exception of Kilmarnock. They then tried to let them start in the old First Division, but again the rest of the clubs voted against that route.

There were all sorts of deals being proposed behind closed doors, and all were in favour of giving Sevco FC the best chance of playing at the highest level in Scottish Football, but it was the football supporters in Scotland who put a stop to that, not the toothless SFA/SPL.

The SFA/SPL colluded to let Sevco continue to be known as Rangers FC, they colluded to let them keep their history, they colluded to influence UEFA to acknowledge Rangers FC, how can a team that was liquidated claim to have the same history? But not the same debts?

They continue to show a support to the Sevco financial plight which they have never shown to any other club in Scotland. Other clubs have went into administration, or been liquidated in Scotland, but they were left to get on with it, not given a financial boost at every opportunity.

Let’s take the case of the cup competitions last season, and I know that Celtic FC benefitted from those completions by being chosen to host the Final of both the League Cup and Scottish Cup.

The only reason for using Hampden Park for Cup Finals and Semi-Finals is because Of its neutrality, in terms of being a worthy sporting arena if fails miserably, you would not put it in the top 100 European Stadiums, it is the third best stadium in Scotland, after Celtic park and Murrayfield.

So when Hampden was out of commission due to the Commonwealth Games, why weren’t the Semi-Finals played at Celtic Park? Because it is clearly the biggest and best stadium in Scotland, the only answer to that can be, the SFA/SPFL wanted to help out Sevco with the money to hire the stadium, the same can be said of playing International matches at Ibrox, it is not a worthy arena.

Now getting back to the debts owed by Sevco FC. Why was there not some sort of agreement put in place to make sure that the debts owed would be honoured, no matter how long it took?

Why is this club allowed to continue to spend vast amounts of money on staff contracts and bonuses, when small businesses were also forced into liquidation because the money they were owed was not paid by Rangers?

Why if the SFA/SPFL continues to pay Sevco for the rent of their ground do they not withhold a percentage of the fee to go towards paying some of their debts, the whole situation is an embarrassment to Scottish Football.

And now we have the latest fiasco with Mike Ashley getting further involved, although I’m not really that bothered about who is in charge of Sevco FC, but it’s making daily headlines in the Scottish Media for all the wrong reasons.

There has been a deafening silence from the SFA/SPFL with regards to what is going on at Sevco. I think Stewart Regan and Neil Doncaster have lost any support they had with the ordinary everyday football supporter.

It seems that not much has changed at all within the corridors of power over at Hampden, things are still done behind closed doors, and there is a distinct lack of transparency and accountability, even when Celtic Managers and Players are getting assaulted at a worryingly alarming frequency, you could hear a pin drop.

Have Celtic FC counted how many fans lost due to their silence on Sevco FC

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:06 am

What a bitter and twisted wee man

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:30 am

Just a couple of questions related to the post:

Does it really matter what that mob are called? Personally I've got much more in life to worry about than what the Huns should/shouldn't be called

What should the SFA do about the assault without investigating the issue in its entirety? Are they responsible for commenting or should it be the SPFL?

Who cares if ibrox is chosen as another venue as well as paradise? There is only 2 football stadiums in Scotland capable of holding the game and both we're chosen. Moreover, our ground holds almost 10,000 more seats and neither semi was a sellout

I'm sick of seeing our sites used to make statements about other clubs. We should worry about ourselves & do the honourable thing of staying silent on issues that having nothing to do with us.

Celtic, a club like no other. Not Celtic, a club interested only in Rangers!!!

Stanshoops

Postby Stanshoops » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Hail Hail Joe

Well the answer is of course that Celtic have just the very man to get right into the SFA about all those issues and to get them out into the open, a certain Mr PL. However it seems that it's not only you that has held off for quite some time commenting on these issues. It's no good if he is going to say he is "working behind the scenes" - one because it is not changing anything and two it appears to everyone to be being covered up - you know hidden, secret, sleekit. So lets have it all out in the open -cards on the table - or if it's too hot in the old SFA kitchen for you PL - you know the answer!!!

Joe O'Rourke

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:46 pm

I know that PL has asked questions of the SFA ... I believe its the SFA who are demanding confidentiality.... There is also the concerns about the safety of employees ... we know from experience what happens when certain groups don't like the question being asked ....

hen1rik

Postby hen1rik » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:20 pm

Brilliant Joe..

New bhoy

Postby New bhoy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:10 am

I am very pleased that P. l. is at least asking the questions . I hope he is asking
the right questions and that sooner or later we will get answers .
Am I right in thinking there are very few statements coming from the people
administrating Scottish Football at this time . I think that we would have heard
a lot more other seasons .

Kiwibhoy

Postby Kiwibhoy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:51 am

Why is Rangers being treated the way it is? Money. As always:

http://www.thecsa.co.uk/showthread.php?t=753&

Return to “CSA News”