We must take the second chance !!!

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

We must take the second chance !!!

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:44 pm

Since last Wednesday night at Murrayfield it’s been surreal being a Celtic supporter with all that’s been going on. Everyone seems to have an opinion; and I have to say not all are backing Celtic.

It has to be said; we were second best in every department football wise against Legia, there was a distinct lack of energy and effort on the player’s part; and that has to be worrying.

But the antics of Legia since UEFA’s decision to award Celtic a 3-0 victory has been extremely annoying, and in particular their major shareholder Dariusz Mioduski.

I genuinely feel some sympathy for Legia, in terms of football they were the better team and clearly deserved to win the two legs, but the rules are there for a reason, and they failed to adhere to them.

Henning Berg is now blaming everyone but himself, Berg is ultimately responsible for team registration and team selection, so the buck stops with him, he can point the finger all he wants, but it the blame still lies with him.

Like Sion in the past it seems it will drag on for a few more days, which doesn’t help anyone, i cannot see the decision being overturned, there are too many complications now. For instance, would the whole draw need to be made again? As Celtic were seeded and Legia were not, and who would Maribor rather play? I would suggest they fancy their chances against us.

Anyway, all we can do now is try to take advantage of the second chance we have been given. The best way of achieving that will be in front of a packed Celtic Park, and hopefully be the team performing better both home and away.

I was impressed with Murrayfield as a stadium, but nothing get close to Celtic park on Champions League nights. The decision by the club to make it a season ticket match was the right one, and one which I’m sure will be appreciated by the majority of supporters.

So we need to look forward with hope for the future. I still believe our long term future will be somewhere outside the present SPFL, we cannot continue to struggle to attract players because of the financial situation, there are players in the championship in England going for seven figure sums, we just cannot compete with that market, we need to be in that market.

Second Chance SQUANDERED

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:59 pm

In my opinion the second chance was squandered the second after the deadline for registering players for the Maribor game (barring a wildcard) had passed

Since the Legia battering, we sold our first choice goalkeeper - weakening the team.
We supplemented the squad with 2 loan players;
1 with a slight injury preventing him from getting game and practice time with his new team mates (we dont want to repeat the Berget debacle) and the other a kid (not ready either).

Thus competing for the next round of the qualifiers with a weaker squad of players than wasnt good enough to qualify for it in the fist instance.

Why should we be so bothered when the custodians of our great club clearly are not?

Absolute disgraceful response from the Celtic board - who have guaranteed themselves £14m in the corresponding time since.

Kiwibhoy

Re: We must take the second chance !!!

Postby Kiwibhoy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:43 pm

I still believe our long term future will be somewhere outside the present SPFL, we cannot continue to struggle to attract players because of the financial situation, there are players in the championship in England going for seven figure sums, we just cannot compete with that market, we need to be in that market.

Agreed; but how? Given that the Republic of Ireland league would be out of the question, it is not just the SPFL that would put blocks, big ones, in the way of Celtic heading south - the English football establishment would not be too keen on it either. And even if Celtic did get a 'green light' to start, and say for argument in League One, it would take time to work its way out of that.

Most unbiased opinion, FWIW, think that Celtic would completely struggle at the minute in the Premier League and probably struggle in the English Champions' League as well. On a purely business basis Celtic may be better off for the moment sticking where it is.

Kiwibhoy

Re: We must take the second chance !!!

Postby Kiwibhoy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:53 pm

1-6 on aggregate, reversed to 4-3 on aggregate. 1-2 on aggregate. Now what?

Return to “CSA News”