Armageddon .. not for us !!!!!

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

Armageddon .. not for us !!!!!

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Fri May 30, 2014 1:30 pm

Armageddon, for who? All this talk of the Championship being the most exiting league in Scotland next year, are either involved with the SPFL, or are supporters of the three once mighty teams who find themselves playing there next season.

I have been going to watch Celtic play for almost sixty years, and for that I thank my two late brothers John and Tony who took me as soon as I could walk (my Dad had to work on a Saturday).

I can honestly say I never went to watch Celtic play because of the opposition, I went to watch Celtic, I didn’t care then and don’t care now who we play, all I want is a Celtic victory, the only time I consider the opposition in on Champions League nights, when you want to play against the best teams in Europe, and beat them.

I have often said we have many worthy scalps in our locker at Celtic Park, Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Manchester United, the three so-called big teams who find themselves in the Championship this year don’t get anywhere near the quality of the team already mentioned.

We have beaten some of these teams 7-1 and 6-2, we even beat one of them 7-0 on their own ground last year, we can do that any week of any season, so why do we need them now?

We are in a great place right now; we are three time League winners, and who knows how many we can win on the trot. We are geared to appoint a new manager with new ideas and a new energy into the club.

We have the best stadium in Scotland; which has become even more appealing with the opening of the new Celtic Way. We have the best supports in the world which is recognised by all the big names in world football.

As I said already, I go to Celtic Park to watch Celtic win matches, there is no better feeling than watching Celtic win a football match, that’s why I see supporters who have been over the course for many years still turn up home and away to see Celtic play football the Glasgow Celtic way.

Let’s do what Lenny said fours ago, “Let’s bring the thunder back” let’s get behind our team, and back them like no other support in the world can do. Always have been, always will be Glasgow Celtic.

Re: Armageddon .. not for us !!!!!

Postby Guest » Fri May 30, 2014 2:11 pm

Could not have said it any better

Postby Guest » Fri May 30, 2014 2:46 pm

I agree 100%. I am a Celtic supporter and have followed my team when we did not win anything and played poor football every week.
My ST is renewed automatically and I will not change this.
Celtic For Ever

Postby Guest » Fri May 30, 2014 2:49 pm

Joe, I liked this post, very much to the point and as straight forward as you can get about why we support our team. Be it Celtic, Aberdeen, Partick Thistle or Alloa - we go to see our team and hopefully they win, but who cares who they play. It's as simple as that. I too have supported Celtic for 60 years, 61 to be exact. Taken to my first game as a 5 year old, yes Bobby Collins, Charlie Tully and Willie Fernie were my heroes. Then came, Pat Crerand, Bobby Murdoch, Kenny Dalglish, Paul McStay and of course Henrik Larsson to name but a few. Next year the SPL will still be the SPL. Celtic will romp it, no doubt, but I'm not worried about that at all. Nor will I be looking over my shoulder to see who is coming up. Who cares if it's Hibs, hearts, Queen of the South or rangers? we'll play whoever we have to play and keep supporting the team we love. Might have to change the words of the song though - "Bring on hearts the Hibs
the rangers, bring on Spaniards by the score" we'll have to change that first part to "bring on Killie, 'Well and Accies" LOL:)

Kiwibhoy

Postby Kiwibhoy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:59 am

Be careful what you wish for: a single dominant team in a sporting league is not, actually, in a good situation over the medium- to long-term.

Here's why. Teams like Celtic and its past (and future?) across-town rivals both did well [I:b46010bc]precisely because[/I:b46010bc] there was a strong rivalry to keep both the teams on their mettle. This can also be seen at looking at the English Premiers; because of the week-in week-out quality of the opposition, never mind the local derby rivalries, it makes for a much more interesting competition. This can be seen in other sports as well, notably rugby: New Zealand's rugby team may be the best in the world, but will only stay that way because the quality of the opposition (not Scotland, sadly), keeps it on its toes. And the same can be seen from a variety of European football examples.

Only the most dedicated fan will turn out to see their side get regularly hammered, and only a dedicated fan will turn out to see their own side win every time - a sporting match without a real challenge in it is not really that interesting for casual punters or even the dedicated punters. That's why Celtic needs the European championships, but I still think that without a good domestic competition to keep it sharp, it will struggle once it is out of Scotland; or even the UK, as the various 'Battle of Britain' games remind us.

Which brings us back to the Scottish Champions League. Three of its teams, at least, have everything to play for, so it's going to make for quite a competition!

adapta

Postby adapta » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:44 pm

Agree the armageddon stuff is a nonsense peddled by those who wanted to throw an SPL lifeline to the huns. The same people who told us TV deals would collapse if the huns went bang, the same people who suggested that there would be civil disorder if rangers were 'relegated'. Liars, scaremongerers, bullies and people who hate our club.

However we need to escape all those people and a set of clubs incapable of challenging us, even the one that proved capable of that did so only by cheating.

Celtic Football club is designed for bigger things than the SPFL can ever offer us.

I long for the day we play our football in a serious league, against big clubs that force us to improve and to grow.

I despise the fact we cant build ateam over any period as we lose players to clubs like southampton and norwich, no disrespect to them , but you get my drift.

I want celtic challenging at the top again, we will never experience that whilst playing in a tiny set up and surrounded by tiny minds.

Kiwibhoy

Postby Kiwibhoy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:58 pm

Adapta - yes, but how? The tiny setup you complain about is mostly about tiny money, and that has everything to do with the Scottish game as a whole. No team is an island, sufficient unto itself.

My own view is that Celtic wouldn't have a show in the English premiers and would find the English Championship league pretty hard work. I still have no idea how we would get into League 2 in the first place. And there would no point, as far as I can tell, in playing in the Republic of Ireland league either. Thots?

Return to “CSA News”