St Johnstone and Police arrive at the right decision .... eventually.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

St Johnstone and Police arrive at the right decision .... eventually.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:42 pm

At last common sense has prevailed and banners and flags will be allowed into the St Johnstone match on Boxing Day in Perth.

This was a situation that should never have happened in the first place, but it took a lot of phone calls and talking before it was resolved.

I contacted Celtic’s Head of Operations Ronnie Hawthorn yesterday morning; Ronnie agreed there was no need for such a ban, and that it was counter-productive.

I also spoke to St Johnstone and tried to explain the situation to them, they were not exactly falling over themselves trying to solve the problem.

I spoke a couple of times last night to ACC Bernie Higgins who is charge of all major events in Scotland. He said he would consult with Match Commander Kevin Lynch, and ask him to liaise with St Johnstone.

I also spoke to Peter Lawwell who was on his way back from a business trip to Europe, he assured me that the decision to ban flags and banners had nothing to do with Celtic; it is a decision for the home club.

I then met with Peter Lawwell this morning to discuss the situation, he told me and CSA President John Andrews that there was a meeting with St Johnstone and the Police at 10am, and a statement was expected at 11am.

As you’ll know by now the decision was overturned and flags and banners will now be allowed into the stadium.

There is no point in apportioning blame now that the right decision has been reached. I would now expect the Celtic supporters to travel to Perth in good numbers and in good spirits.

Let us show everyone watching that we know how to support our team. Leave the smoke flares and pyrotechnic at home, or better still in the bin.

We have never been in better shape than we are now. There are some other issues that need to be discussed; hopefully we can do that early in the New Year.

So let me take this opportunity to wish all Celtic Fans and their families, a very happy Christmas, and a Champion New Year.

Return to “CSA News”