When is a trialist not a trialist?

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

When is a trialist not a trialist?

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:48 am

When is a trialist not a trialist? The obvious answer is when the person on trial already has a contract.

My recollection of how that system worked goes back a few years to my own football days, which might I add were not exactly successful.

What happened was something like this scenario. A player is playing for some Junior Football Team; the guy might be about 21 years of age. Some senior team like Newco FC fancy the player but are not sure if he can make the step up in class.

So what they do is; play him in a couple of matches as a trialist, if the player handles the step up and looks as if he would be an asset to the team; then they would offer him a professional contract, simple!!!!!!

What baffles me is this. There are players who are going in the opposite direction, but can still be classed as a trialist.

For example …. Say a player in the SPL decides to move to a team in the SFL 1, you would think that if he is playing in the top division then he can certainly play in the 3[SIZE=2:23081fbd]rd[/SIZE:23081fbd] division. And if he has already signed a contract and is being paid, how can he be on trial?

I have never actually heard of a player going down to a lower division and being asked to prove themselves in a trial match; but that’s what can happen here in Scotland; how the other Associations in World Football must envy our foresight.

Good luck to Lenny and the Bhoys in Sweden on Wednesday night, I would have liked at least one more goal at Celtic Park, but they didn’t look like much of a threat going forward; if we perform on the night we should go through. We need to get to the Champions League; that’s the stage our great club deserves to be playing on.

Return to “CSA News”