Great support, but it has a downside.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

Great support, but it has a downside.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:50 pm

[COLOR=#000000:c5847481][FONT="Calibri"]Well that’s the first competitive home match of season 2013/14 over with, and we’ve started with a victory, albeit an expected victory. It has to said as well, attracting a crowd of about 40,000 for a 3rd Champions League qualifying match, was very good indeed.
Most people would have considered the tie to be over, myself included after a 3-0 victory in the away leg of the tie, so to get that crowd during the Glasgow Fair holidays was exceptional.
It also has to be said that the supporters of Cliftonville deserve great credit for travelling in good numbers to support their team; they too would have thought the tie was over. They brought good colour and humour to the match and sang continuously throughout.
The downside of last night was the announcement that the referee was concerned with the bangers/crackers; or whatever you call the things being let off. This will definitely lead to another fine for Celtic; and there could also be action from UEFA for the flares/smoke bombs at the match last week in Belfast.
These types of devices are dangerous to our supporter’s health, I really don’t see what they bring to the atmosphere of the game, I know they are used widely on the continent; but it would appear they will not be tolerated by UEFA.
We as a club have been fined several times in recent years, from the banner at Udine, to the singing as reported by the match commander at the time Eddie Smith; we have also been fined for pyrotechnics.
At some stage UEFA will come to the conclusion that the fines aren’t working, they will then have to decide on some stronger punishment, like closed door matches; or even being banned.
I would appeal to our supporters to stop with the flares and crackers; a fight with UEFA is one we cannot win. We have a great reputation built over many years; let’s get back to plaudits from UEFA, not fines.
[/COLOR:c5847481]

Return to “CSA News”