Celtic supporters shafted with kick-off times again.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

Celtic supporters shafted with kick-off times again.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:09 pm

I thought it couldn’t get any worse with regard to kick-off times normally associated with following Celtic FC. The latest one to have us unfurl the league Championship Flag at 5.15 on a Saturday night takes a bit of beating.

I know we are in the background when it comes to live televised football matches in the Britain, the English Premier League is top dog, and with the money SKY pour into that league then it’s understandable, it’s all about viewing figures, but it should be about supporters.

It is easy to see how it works in England, more football minded people would rather stay home and watch Manchester United play Chelsea, than drag themselves down to watch Wigan play Bolton Wanderers.

But up here in Scotland, the Celtic supporters would rather watch Celtic play Ross County than sit in and watch the Manchester V Chelsea match, but it should be watched at a time that suits the paying costumer, and I don’t think 5.15 on a Saturday night will suit the paying costumer.

As far as Celtic are concerned the revenue derived from live televised matches will only be a small part of our income, the most money will come direct from supporters going through the turnstiles, but how many will come at unrealistic kick-off times like 5.15 pm.

For our first two away matches we also face the prospect of early morning buses again; with the Aberdeen and Dundee United matches kicking off at 12.30 and 12.45 respectively, completely unacceptable for the biggest travelling support in Scotland; if not Britain.

I have written today to Neil Doncaster; the new CEO of the SPFL, I have expressed my concerns about the times our matches are being staged at; I have also expressed my concerns that the biggest supporters groups in Scottish Football are not consulted when future policy is being decided. I await his reply.

Kiwibhoy

Re: Celtic supporters shafted with kick-off times again.

Postby Kiwibhoy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:39 am

Presumably the kickoff times are to suit any television coverage? If so, that 's the commercial realities of the modern game.

Return to “CSA News”