Thank you John Barnes, for giving us Stiliyan Petrov.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

Thank you John Barnes, for giving us Stiliyan Petrov.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:06 pm

If we have one thing to thank John Barnes for in his time as Celtic Manager, it was for bringing Stiliyan Alyoshev Petrov to Celtic Park in 1999, what a fantastic wonderful talent the young Stan was, and he improved greatly under the expert guidance of Martin O’Neill.

In seven full seasons at Celtic Park, Stan won 4 Premier League titles, 3 Scottish Cup’s, and 3 League Cup’s, he played in 312 matches and scored 65 goals. He was the first foreign player to win the SPFA Young Player of the Year Award in 2001.

Obviously the highlight of his time at Celtic was the run to Seville to reach the EUFA Cup Final, sadly he didn’t come away with the winners medal he and the rest of the players richly deserved.

Stan also played a big part in matches against the now defunct Rangers, scoring the second goal in the famous 6-2 thrashing of them in August 2000; it was Martin O’Neill’s first Glasgow derby, and most memorable one.

Sadly Stan has had to cut short his career after discovering he was suffering from Acute Leukaemia, he is now on the mend, and as you would expect received great messages of support from Celtic fans throughout the world.

Celtic are hosting a Charity Match at Celtic Park on Sunday September 8th to raise money for both Stan and Celtic’s Foundations, I sincerely hope we manage to get a full house. Most of the Seville Team will take part, as well as some special guests; it should be a great afternoon. I would encourage as many Celtic supporters as possible to come along and make it a fantastic experience, and to give Stan the support he undoubtedly deserves.

There are some details below for your information.

FANS’ favourite Lubo Moravcik is making a welcome return to Paradise to take part in the #19 Legends Charity match being played to celebrate the career of his former Celtic team-mate, Stiliyan Petrov.

The match goes ahead on Sunday, September 8, (2pm KO) – tickets are now on sale to season ticket holders, on a first come first served basis (maximum of four per person).

Lubo said: “I am absolutely delighted to be taking part in this match; it was something I had to do.

“As a team-mate of Stiliyan, I was very upset to hear of his illness, but Stiliyan has fought this in the way that we knew he would.

“It is typical of Stiliyan that he is now, together with Celtic is trying to help others.

“This will be a great occasion where the Celtic fans can celebrate Stiliyan and do some great work for a great cause and I can’t wait to play at Celtic Park again.”

Tickets are priced at £10 for adults and £5 for concessions. They are available to purchase online below by calling 0871 226 1888 ** or by visiting the Celtic Ticket Office.

Any remaining tickets will go on general sale from 9.30am on Tuesday, July 2, 2013.

Premium tickets (£25) and corporate packages (£100+VAT) are also available by calling 0871 226 1888 **, Option 4 or emailing [EMAIL="matchdayhospitality@celticfc.co.uk"]matchdayhospitality@celticfc.co.uk[/EMAIL]

Net proceeds of the game will be passed to Celtic Charity* and will support Stiliyan Petrov’s nominated charities plus a range of other projects and worthy causes within the local community and beyond.

The funds raised will help others across the country facing a similar diagnosis to Stiliyan and also some of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people.

* Celtic Charity is the "known as" name of Celtic Charity Fund, a registered charity in Scotland, number SC024648.

** Calls cost up to 10p per minute, telecoms provider dependent. Mobile and other provider charges may vary.

http://www.celticfc.net/tickets_home

Return to “CSA News”