Clubs going to the wall on a weekly basis, but the SNP continue to attack the fans.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

Clubs going to the wall on a weekly basis, but the SNP continue to attack the fans.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:55 pm

When Scottish Football seems to be on the slippery slope to oblivion the SNP Government thinks it’s a good idea to give out misleading statistics with regard to the Offensive Behaviour at Football Scotland Bill.

We have clubs in Scotland facing administration in almost a weekly basis, and not just small clubs, we are talking about clubs who have a bit of history in Scotland, like Hearts and Dunfermline, add to them the chaos surrounding Kilmarnock, you would think the powers that be had more to worry about.

So what did the SNP do? They trotted out a set of statistics which they claim proves that their OBFS bill was working, the trouble with that is, you can prove anything using statistics, what they don’t tell you is the exact background to most of the cases.

Yesterday another Sherriff; Kenneth Hogg said the Bill was confusing, so he had to convict Richard Scroggle for a normal Breach of the Peace instead. If a Sherriff thinks it’s confusing what chance does an ordinary football fan have?

Most of the convictions under this bill have been achieved by way of guilty pleas; the fans who plead not guilty have more than a good chance of succeeding. I am not suggesting for a minute there are no occasions when fans should face the law, but it must be for the right reasons, not just to prove that the SNP are always right.

There is something seriously wrong in any society when the government or rulers believe that they are always right, it would be far better and more just to admit the Bill was rushed and needs to be either revised or scrapped altogether.

I would like to see other groups of fans getting themselves organised to oppose the Bill and demand a review, it would seem that it is mostly the Celtic fans who are doing all the work, although there are some small groups from other clubs who are active, I don’t know if that makes Salmond and his government more determined to stand fast.

There is a press conference being convened by FAC in the city centre tomorrow morning to highlight the problems with the Bill. If Salmond thinks the way forward for an Independent Scotland is to criminalise the young football supporters of this country, I think he is making a big mistake.

Re: Clubs going to the wall on a weekly basis, but the SNP continue to attack the fan

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:31 pm

sorry but really don't agree. nothing to do with snp. lets keep politics out of football. hail hail.

Re: Clubs going to the wall on a weekly basis, but the SNP continue to attack the fan

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Sorry, but clubs going into administration - whilst a big deal for football fans - isn't a criminal activity, and isn't something for a government to get involved in. Bottom line is that if the people didn't want the clubs to struggle they would pay the money and support them, so a political party - elected by those very same people - can't be asked to help instead!

As for the ridiculous bill it can be argued against, but is justified in trying to combat a social problem whether we like it or not. Therefore it is a place for the government.

Joe O'Rourke

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:41 pm

Sorry, but every other party opposed the introduction of the Bill; so it's everything to do with the SNP, although I don't want it to be political, but it is political.

Joe O'Rourke

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:43 pm

It is when there are potential job losses, I think I remember Salmond getting involved last year when it was Sevco.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:00 pm

I sometimes disagree with the stance & views of Joe & the CSA. However, it is abundantly clear that the bill will target a large demographic of people who may be deemed 'republican sympathisers'. It is with regret that, in Scotland, it is entirely possible to, without recrimination, stand on the corner of George Square & indulge in Jihadist / Muslim extremist chanting at the top of your lungs, but sing a song about a liberation army from Ireland & you will be convicted!!

In my opinion I think it would be very difficult to charge an Irishman with this offence - legal eagles feel free to shoot me down.

Damien

Return to “CSA News”