Answers needed for heavy handed police action.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

Answers needed for heavy handed police action.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 am

I don’t know who was responsible for the police operation on Saturday in the Gallowgate with regards to the Green Brigade, but it certainly looked very heavy handed and completely out of proportion to what was happening.

First of all I understand that permission was not asked for to hold a parade along the Gallowgate to Celtic Park, but surrounding young boys and girls with large numbers of police officers with batons drawn is certainly not the answer in a so called democratic society, I think the last time I saw that type of policing was during the Miners’ strike.

The police action seemed to be well planned, with large numbers of police backed up by mounted officers and dog handlers, and not forgetting the police helicopter, a lot of resources to police a crowd of young boys and girls.

It has also been reported that thirteen of these kids were arrested on Saturday; I was not present but have seen footage of the incident on the internet. I believe that the police have scored another spectacular own goal once again, the talk of the police not wanting to arrest their way out of a problem rings very hollow at this time.

If people break the law they are entitled to be dealt with under the law, but they are also entitled to be treated as human beings, the footage I saw does not show the police in a good light, in one scene a young boy is forcibly restrained by four or five burly policemen, I’m sure there will be many complaints from ordinary members of the public regarding the police action.

I met with Superintendent Mc Allister a couple of weeks ago, he assured me his intentions were to be fair and just, I think the incident involving the police on Saturday was anything but fair or just, I’m not sure I would ever want to sit down with the police in the future.

This whole policy is being driven by the SNP Scottish Government to try to show that the Offensive Behaviour at Football Bill was first of all necessary; and secondly that it is working.

I have this morning written to Assistant Chief Constable Bernard Higgins, as well as Superintendent Stephen Mc Allister of FoCUS, and MSP Michael Mc Mahon, I await their response.

The Celtic supporters must continue to oppose this Bill that criminalises a generation of young football supporters, the more people who campaign and complain, the better the chance of success.

Re: Answers needed for heavy handed police action.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Good statement, but are we going to have another regarding some CSA and some Affiliation members attending a meeting with Peter Lawell
and celtic security team regarding the Green brigade and members getting picked out from cctv. Why has it only been the guy Stevie
from the Affiliation coming out and saying anything about this? The CSA is supposed to be there to help the fans.

celticdan

Re: Answers needed for heavy handed police action.

Postby celticdan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:50 pm

it would be interesting to find out how many celtic fans have been arrested and banned and how many have been released without charge since the bill

Return to “CSA News”