"Legends earn more repect than Millionaires"

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

"Legends earn more repect than Millionaires"

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:24 pm

I had the honour and privilege yesterday of attending the Requiem Mass for Celtic Legend Sean Fallon. It was a fitting tribute to Sean who attained his legendary status for not only his very successful playing career, but also for his brilliant partnership with Big Jock.

The list of Celtic Legends is too big to name them all here, from john Thomson and Jimmy Mc Grory to latter day ones like Jimmy Johnstone and Henrik Larsson, but one thing is sure, they gained their status for what they did on a football pitch, not for how much money they had in the bank.

I am a big admirer of Gary Hooper, and while I’m not privy to his salary, or what he has been offered as a new one, I know one thing, unless you’re Chuckles Green, you canny buy your medals.

Gary is young enough to continue playing at Celtic for a couple more years, enhancing his reputation and improving as a football player. He can also add to his medal collection, and maybe win some personal ones on top.

The Lisbon Lions are all Legends because of Lisbon, but don’t forget also that, most of that team played the majority of their careers at Celtic Park, they could certainly have earned a lot more money in England or on the continent, and there would have been a very big queue if the likes of Jinky or Bobby had wanted to move on.

I understand that playing football is a relatively short career, and players need to earn as much as they can while playing, but if Gary stays free of serious injury, I don’t think he will have many money problems in the future.

All things being equal Gary has another ten years in football, he could sign another three decent contracts in that time scale, he could as suggested by some go down the Stan Petrov route, or he could sign deal with a clause that gives him a share of any transfer in the future.

I’m sure that Peter Lawwell will have looked at all the options, I’m also sure that he won’t be held to ransom by Gary, or any other player for that matter, with all due respect, better players than Gary have left Celtic, and we are still here in the top division, and playing in the Champions League.

At the end of the day the decision will be taken by Gary, not by his dad or his agent. But if the level of his ambition is Norwich City, then I think he is setting his sights far too low. We have the chance to win the domestic treble this season, we also have the chance to beat Juventus and go to the last eight of the Champions League, there are very few teams who can offer Gary that.

gert/canada

Re: "Legends earn more repect than Millionaires"

Postby gert/canada » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:36 pm

If Gary doesn't want to sign a new deal SELL HIM NOW. If champions league last 16 and the possible domestic treble isn't enough to convince him to sign the deal on offer then it's time he goes. The way I see it he want's to play against Juventus maybe pick up another few winners medals then he's off to Norwich or some other struggling EPL team. I can't recall the teams from the premier lining up to take him from Scunthorpe. I truely hope he sign's the new deal of course but if not punt him.

pensionerbhoy

Re: "Legends earn more repect than Millionaires"

Postby pensionerbhoy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 am

I am not sure that this is the right place to do so, Joe, but I wanted to express my deepest sympathy to your uncle and all his family. My prayers and thoughts are with them and you at this time.

RIP

Return to “CSA News”