A fantastic celebration of Celtic founding in St Mary's.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

A fantastic celebration of Celtic founding in St Mary's.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Over 1000, Celtic minded people turned up last night in St Mary’s RC Church to celebrate the 125[SIZE=2:6d4d5f9c]th[/SIZE:6d4d5f9c] Anniversary of the founding by Brother Walfrid and his committee of Celtic Football Club.

Celtic FC was represented by majority share-holder Dermott Desmond, Chairman Ian Bankier, CEO Peter Lawwell, and most of the Board of Directors and Manager Neil Lennon. Barcelona also had a very impressive number of Board members and Officials present.

The majority of the Lisbon Lions were present along with former players from different eras, including Tom Boyd, Frank Mc Garvey, and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink.

Celtic Chairman Ian Bankier started the proceedings by welcoming people here and explaining how Celtic had evolved in these 125 years to be the club we are today.

He was followed by Church of Scotland Minister the Rev Ian Miller of Bonhill Church. The Rev told how he started out life supporting another Glasgow team, but was converted by the Celtic ethos and culture of all-inclusiveness, and helping those in most need.

He was followed by Celtic Graves representative Terry Dick; Terry gave a very detailed narrative of the early years in Celtic’s long and glorious history.

12 Priests concelebrated the Holy Mass, they were ably supported by the choir from the University, and the readings were performed by Lisbon Lion Jim Craig, and Marie Mc Cusker.

After the Mass it was back to Celtic Park for some mince and tatties that was greatly appreciated on a very cold November evening.

As you would expect at a gathering of Celtic people, all the profit from last night was appropriately donated to the wonderful Mary’s Meals Project, which helps to feed children in many different countries throughout the world.

A big thank you to The Celtic Graves Society for organising last night’s celebration, and to Peter Lawwell and Celtic Football Club for paying it the respect it truly deserved. Also a big thank you to all those who joined in the celebration.

It just leaves me to say, it will be a completely different atmosphere in Paradise tonight, good luck to Lenny and the Bhoys, let’s get right behind the team and cheer them on to victory as only a Celtic Support can.

Tonight, Glasgow’s Green and White.

pensionerbhoy

Re: A fantastic celebration of Celtic founding in St Mary's.

Postby pensionerbhoy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:42 pm

I saw a selection of photos along with a fairly detailed report, Joe, and even at this distance the vibes were tangible. I had tears in my eyes looking at them and reading the words. I do hope, and I have no doubt they will, that all who were privileged to be present appreciate the extraordinary and unique occasion they witnessed. I am sure the memories, Joe, will be life-long.
Happy 125 and here's to some icing on the cake tonight. We truly are a blessed people and a loving family.

H H

Return to “CSA News”