The Harassment of the Celtic Supporters has to stop.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

The Harassment of the Celtic Supporters has to stop.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:53 am

It bamboozles me the thought process the police use to decide their strategy for the visit of Celtic supporters to some towns and cities in Scotland, no more so than in Dundee yesterday afternoon.

I arrived in plenty of time to find a long queue forming to gain entry into the West Stand behind the goal, on enquiring as to why the queue, I was informed that there would be a blanket search of the Celtic supporters.

On my arrival at the turnstiles I refused to be searched by the steward on duty because he didn’t have the required SIA credentials, I spoke to a Police Constable and invited him to do the search, he carried out what I would describe as a quick frisk, no disrespect to the copper, but I could have got a large cerry- oot past his attempt at a search.

The main point is this, why the need for a blanket search in the first place? I can answer that for myself, they are looking for smoke bombs and flares, and I guess alcohol as well, I believe the alcohol gets smuggled in internally though, so is not found in any external body search.

As for the smoke bombs and flares, I don’t believe there has been an incident of these involving Celtic supporters in domestic football since season 2010/11, and let me stress; I strongly oppose the use of these at a football match.

Added to that, Tannadice is probably one of the favourite grounds the Celtic supporters visit, there has been no trouble there for a very long time, and the supporters of both clubs mix freely in the streets before and after the match irrespective of the result.

So what conclusion should we take from the policy? Is it another example of unnecessary harassment of the Celtic support? Many supporters would agree with that conclusion. The Green Brigade issued a statement last week regarding Police harassment, the actions of the police yesterday seemed to back that statement up.

We also last week had the case of a young Celtic supporter being brought to court in Inverness for allegedly singing offensive songs. The case was found Not Proven; the Judge said that the evidence of two Police Sergeants was unreliable.

This situation cannot be allowed to continue, the young lad last week had to travel to Inverness on four occasions to get justice, it cost his family a lot of money to defend the case, I know, because they are personal friends of mine, the worry that young kieran’s parents went through was unacceptable.

I have this morning spoken to Ronnie Hawthorn, Celtic’s Head of Operations; I have made it clear to Ronnie that this persecution of the Celtic supporters cannot be allowed to continue. I have also written a letter of complaint to Superintendent Kevin Lynch (aye, that’s his name) who was Match Commander yesterday. And incidently, the Match commander was aware of the GB statement.

Re: The Harassment of the Celtic Supporters has to stop.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:44 pm

our learned friend is always ready for the fray.the truth is that if football fans are arrested i believe the great majority will plead guilty,to save on any on going prosecution,the point i try to make is for that the unfortunate needs both the funds and the back up of witnesses to eradicate this persecution of P.C. plods vendetta. "we only want to go and watch footy"

Re: The Harassment of the Celtic Supporters has to stop.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:01 am

It bamboozles me the thought process the police use to decide their strategy for the visit of Celtic supporters to some towns and cities in Scotland, no more so than in Dundee yesterday afternoon.

I arrived in plenty of time to find a long queue forming to gain entry into the West Stand behind the goal, on enquiring as to why the queue, I was informed that there would be a blanket search of the Celtic supporters.

On my arrival at the turnstiles I refused to be searched by the steward on duty because he didn’t have the required SIA credentials, I spoke to a Police Constable and invited him to do the search, he carried out what I would describe as a quick frisk, no disrespect to the copper, but I could have got a large cerry- oot past his attempt at a search.

The main point is this, why the need for a blanket search in the first place? I can answer that for myself, they are looking for smoke bombs and flares, and I guess alcohol as well, I believe the alcohol gets smuggled in internally though, so is not found in any external body search.

As for the smoke bombs and flares, I don’t believe there has been an incident of these involving Celtic supporters in domestic football since season 2010/11, and let me stress; I strongly oppose the use of these at a football match.

Added to that, Tannadice is probably one of the favourite grounds the Celtic supporters visit, there has been no trouble there for a very long time, and the supporters of both clubs mix freely in the streets before and after the match irrespective of the result.

So what conclusion should we take from the policy? Is it another example of unnecessary harassment of the Celtic support? Many supporters would agree with that conclusion. The Green Brigade issued a statement last week regarding Police harassment, the actions of the police yesterday seemed to back that statement up.

We also last week had the case of a young Celtic supporter being brought to court in Inverness for allegedly singing offensive songs. The case was found Not Proven; the Judge said that the evidence of two Police Sergeants was unreliable.

This situation cannot be allowed to continue, the young lad last week had to travel to Inverness on four occasions to get justice, it cost his family a lot of money to defend the case, I know, because they are personal friends of mine, the worry that young kieran’s parents went through was unacceptable.

I have this morning spoken to Ronnie Hawthorn, Celtic’s Head of Operations; I have made it clear to Ronnie that this persecution of the Celtic supporters cannot be allowed to continue. I have also written a letter of complaint to Superintendent Kevin Lynch (aye, that’s his name) who was Match Commander yesterday. And incidently, the Match commander was aware of the GB statement.

Probably random poppy fascism inspections, looking out for anti Poppy banners.

Return to “CSA News”