The way forward for Scottish football, and the Kilmarnock issue.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

The way forward for Scottish football, and the Kilmarnock issue.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:06 pm

[COLOR=#000000:f3628565]I think the last time I saw Celtic supporters trying to buy tickets before a game at Motherwell would have been the fateful end of season clash in 2005, when we managed to throw away the League Title on the last day of the season.
[/COLOR:f3628565]
[COLOR=#000000:f3628565]I think there were two very good reasons for the sell-out of the away sections at Motherwell at the weekend, and that must be something which should be built on for the rest of the season.
[COLOR=#000000:f3628565]The most important aspect of the match was it was played at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon,which was Celtics first away match at 3pm on a Saturday for seven years, which is shocking treatment of the biggest away support in Scottish Football.
[COLOR=#000000:f3628565]The second very important aspect of the game was the pricing of the tickets, and for once I would congratulate Motherwell on the price of their Parent/Child and concession tickets, which led to a lot of young supporters being present, and let’sremember, they are the future of Scottish football.
[COLOR=#000000:f3628565]I wrote to Stewart Regan and Neil Doncaster at the start of last season, I had suggested then that we should copy the Bundesliga Model, which has affordable family pricing in modern stadia, that was obviously ignored, I sincerely hope other teams follow on from the Motherwell pricing policy.
[COLOR=#000000:f3628565]St Johnstone should also be congratulated, they had decent prices for Parent/Child and concession tickets, and they made plenty of tickets available to our travelling support, other clubs hopefully will follow suit.
[COLOR=#000000:f3628565]Now I need to clear up a statement made yesterday by Hugh Keevins, he claimed that our Delegates Meeting yesterday would discuss a proposed boycott of Kilmarnock in December,wrong again Shugsta, we have no mandate for a boycott of Kilmarnock, we said we would boycott any club which voted for a Newco, Kilmarnock abstained, so no ... .."OFFICIAL BOYCOTT"
[COLOR=#000000:f3628565]I would have to say this though, I expect a drop in the number of Celtic supporters attending that particular match, lots of supporters have indicated that they won’t return to Kilmarnock; that will be their individual choice.
[COLOR=#000000:f3628565]And one last note to the bold Shug, the Celtic Supporters Association will take whatever action they deem appropriate in the 100% backing of Celtic Football Club, that action will always be decided by the members. I believe the last time I checked, Mr Keevins is still barred from our club, so he won’t have any influence on our actions.[/COLOR:f3628565]

offshorebhoy

Re: The way forward for Scottish football, and the Kilmarnock issue.

Postby offshorebhoy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:29 pm

I for one won't be going to rugby park again there ayrshire huns always have been always will be they abstained in the vote and for me that was a vote for the huns, fair play to anyone who does go but i won't be one of them. hail hail

pensionerbhoy

Postby pensionerbhoy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Well said, Joe. Time for some of the fairy tales to be laid to rest and, more importantly, the amateur story-tellers put in their place. For most in Scotland this is most certainly well away from Parkhead. I would just say in defence of Kilmarnock supporters that they did not approve of their chairman's vote and perhaps a more suitable action by Celtic fans would be to express on the day THEIR disapproval and their solidarity with these fans. To boycott their club and thus snub them somewhat contradicts the call for unity to improve Scottish football all round. If we alienate other fans, the full burden of financial survival of our club will surely fall almost entirely upon the shoulders of our supporters alone. Surely we should seek other ways of letting the chairman know how Celtic fans feel and even cause him distress without antagonising the fans.

H H

Joe O'Rourke

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:45 am

I understand your point, and know that the Kilmarnock supporters claim they disagreed with their chairman. I know lots of our supporters who hate going down there, there is always a hostile atmosphere, and a clear dislike of all things Celtic, so i think its more than just the abstaining from the vote.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:25 pm

Well said pensioner bhoy. A boycott would probably achieve nothing. You won't find any objections from the Killie fans who (with respect) don't care if you come or not.

As a killie fan, over the years I used to dislike both halves of the old firm in equal measure but I think a recent siege mentality within the celtic camp, and some silly assumptions/prejudices and high profile title deciders have lead to a more hostile atmosphere than at Rangers games.

In that respect I think Joe is right but it comes from both sides. Its not that we are "huns", but if you go to a ground expecting not to be liked then you probably wont be - there are no more "huns" in the killie support than at anywhere else; the "huns" go and watch the "huns". I don't intend this to be inflammitory but Celtic fans are generally more threatening and poorly behaved than Rangers fans at Rugby Park (IMO). I expect the same is true of Rangers fans at Pittodrie (vice versa).

Those who believe we are all huns probably shouldn't come and probably only perpetuate the animosity. Nobody wants you there and you don't want yourself there. Stay home and watch people watch football on Soccer Saturday. Those who want to come and watch a football match are welcome. A new dawn in scottish football might be about to arrive.

Return to “CSA News”