It could actually be better to finish 3rd instead of 2nd in the Champions League.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

It could actually be better to finish 3rd instead of 2nd in the Champions League.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:01 pm

[COLOR=#000000:239fc8e4]Despite all the negative spin in the Scottish Media and the ranting’s of Chucky Green, we have much to look forward to at Celtic Park with the upcoming Champions League matches,and the chance to have a decent run in European Football.
[/COLOR:239fc8e4]
[COLOR=#000000:239fc8e4]Lenny has strengthened the squad in the transfer window, and if we don’t get any more injuries, and get Scott Brown and Joe Ledley back, we look to have a chance of progressing through the group to the knock-out stages.
[COLOR=#000000:239fc8e4]From a purely commercial and financial point of view, it could actually be better to finish third in the group rather than second, although I stress, the aim should be to go as far as possible in the premier tournament, and strive to win it.
[COLOR=#000000:239fc8e4]Every team has a chance to win the Champions League, we would need to play at the very top of our game, and carry an awful lot of luck, but you always have a chance, if I was running against Usain Bolt tomorrow, he would be favourite to win, but he could trip up and break both his ankles, I say both, because if he only broke one he would still beat me with my dodgy knees.
[COLOR=#000000:239fc8e4]Getting back to finishing third instead of second. Finishing second would normally mean then playing one of the top seeds like Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, you would have to beat them over two legs, no mean feat for any team to achieve, but certainly achievable.
[COLOR=#000000:239fc8e4]Finishing third would mean being parachuted into the Europa League knock-out stages as a seeded team. Now with a bit of luck in the draw, we could look to go far in that tournament, there will still be some really good teams to beat, but if we were at full strength we would certainly fancy our chances.
[COLOR=#000000:239fc8e4]With the strengthening of the squad and the emergence of young players like Tony Watt and Filip Twardzik; Lenny can now look to be able to field different teams for European and Domestic matches, so keeping the pressure of playing too many matches off our flair players.
[COLOR=#000000:239fc8e4]We need to boost our own co-efficient this year, we have dropped down a bit in recent years with our poor results in Europe, as a result of that we won’t be seeded next year in the qualifying rounds for the Champions League, unless we are in as holders of course.
[COLOR=#000000:239fc8e4]A wee advert now ….. We are looking at running a bus to the match in Barcelona form Port Glasgow, the bus will leave on Sunday, stay overnight in Barcelona on Monday night, then leave after the match on Tuesday night.
[COLOR=#000000:239fc8e4]The cost of the trip will be £150 in total; you will need to provide your own match ticket.If anyone is interested, please get in contact ASAP.[/COLOR:239fc8e4]

Re: It could actually be better to finish 3rd instead of 2nd in the Champions League.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi, looking to go to barcelona with a few mates and seen your advertisement. Does that price include the night accommodation? If not is there anywhere you would recommend to stay that would be near to where the bus is going to be?
Cheers.

jbd

Re: It could actually be better to finish 3rd instead of 2nd in the Champions League.

Postby jbd » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi Joe.
I can see your sense of logic..., however, the objective, taking part in ANY tournament, must be to win it, no matter how unlikely it may seem.

However, if by some chance, we get knocked out of Champions League, I'd be quite happy to win Europa League.

As regards the last paragraph...a bus in Port Glasgow on a Sunday ?*!?*!?

Hope to bump in to you in Barca!

Hail hail.

Joe O'Rourke

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:48 am

Yes, the price includes the nights accommodation.

Return to “CSA News”