Celtic's future should be determined by Celtic Supporters.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

Celtic's future should be determined by Celtic Supporters.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:07 pm

[COLOR=#000000:091d3db8]There seems to be more dodgy deals getting done within the corridors of power in Scottish Football than in the box set of “Only Fools and Horses” and all for one single reason, to get the best deal for Sevco 5088.
[COLOR=#000000:091d3db8]I have defended Stewart Regan and Neil Doncaster on this site in the past, but I think my opinions of them is changing by the day, and like Paul Brennan on Celtic Quick News I believe they might find themselves on the receiving end of a No Confidence vote.
[COLOR=#000000:091d3db8]In this whole sorry mess only one club has my support, and that is Celtic, we as Celtic supporters will be the people who determine how strong or weak we are this coming season, irrespective of what happens elsewhere.
[COLOR=#000000:091d3db8]I firmly believe that any club going into liquidation and reforming under a Newco banner should at the very least start off in Division 3 that is the reality; it should not be up for debate depending on which club that happens to be.
[COLOR=#000000:091d3db8]Everyone knows there will be a commercial hit on the SPL clubs because of the demise of Rangers FC. We know that the TV companies will want to renegotiate, as will the major sponsors, again that is the reality of the situation, it happens in every walk of life that changes have to be made.
[COLOR=#000000:091d3db8]I believe that we at Celtic need to switch our focus to the Champions League as the avenue to replace the loss of revenue in domestic competition; I also believe we need to make better use of our Next Generation Squad by playing more matches at Celtic Park.
[COLOR=#000000:091d3db8]Scottish Football will never be the same again after this fiasco, it is now almost inevitable there will be a change in the voting system for financial affairs, and that will be to the detriment of Celtic, we will be asked to fund the rest of Scottish Football by giving the other clubs a greater share of our revenue.
[COLOR=#000000:091d3db8]The only chance we have of maintaining our squad is if the Celtic supporters back our club, I know a few supporters are waiting on the outcome of the Newco vote before they decide whether to renew their season ticket or not, I think we should forget about them and concentrate on our own club.
[COLOR=#000000:091d3db8]The reality is very simple. If there is a drop in our income which cannot be replaced the only option will be to downsize the playing squad, the knock-on effect of that will be felt more in European competition than domestic.
[COLOR=#000000:091d3db8]It is a tragedy that the whole of Scottish Football is going to suffer because of the mismanagement and cheating of one single club. I will say it again, if this had been handled quickly and decisively at the beginning by the football authorities we would not be in this position now.

pensionerbhoy

Re: Celtic's future should be determined by Celtic Supporters.

Postby pensionerbhoy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:02 pm

I think you are right on all fronts, Joe. Celtic supporters focus must first and foremost be on the club and how we can see them through what are bound to be difficult times. Any delay in doing so will almost certainly aggravate an already painful period. We must also accept that Scottish football needs a total reformation if it has any chance of survival. That Celtic and its supporters may have to bear the brunt of any angst as a result of changes is neither new nor avoidable. If we are to remain as 'big players' on the world football stage then we have to take it on the chin and, no doubt with great sacrifice and little thanks, contribute most to sorting out the mess. However, if the outcomes of the decision makers prove dishonourable or the price of Scottish footballing authorities' procrastinations is too great, then we may have to be prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of integrity and justice, not just in Scottish football, but in the whole of Scottish society.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:13 pm

Joe i won't be back anyway Scottish Football is corrupt.

Any team that has went in to liquidation has started at the bottom division 3.

The game is bent in this country, enough is enough.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:41 pm

I have the sneaky suspicion that Celtic themselves are complicit in wanting Sevco in the SPL. If not then why has Lawyell said nothing about the blatant gerrymandering and corrupt ideas that are being banded about. It seems an own goal to be threatening to boycott anyone who votes for SEVCO when it could be our own team that some fans will boycott.
Celtic must speak out on this or the above line of thinking is the result

bigpaul

Postby bigpaul » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:52 pm

[B:4e081456]Before we concentrate on Celtic, Joe, Celtic need to put our fears at rest that they are no in any way involved in this farce of Sevco to Division one.
I have been happy to let them hold their counsel, but the time has come to show leadership and direction. They have to state their position and stop letting speculation and rumour get the better of our support.
I have renewed my season ticket on the auto Renewal scheme and paid my £200 deposit, like I have done since the Hampden year, however I will boycott away games this season of any teams that Vote Yes to sevco in the SPL, even if they do not get in, and if they are cowards and hold a secret ballot then irrespective of the outcome I will not set foot inside another away venue unless that club publicly states that it voted NO.
Back to Celtic and the Sevco to Div 1 shenanigans, are we condoning this or in some way involved, if not tell us and put our fears to rest. If they are involved then I think that will be it, with football for me. I will ask for my deposit back and cancel my Direct Debit, and end 40 odd years of attending games.
I cannot believe I have reached this point but I have, and it needs public clarity from Celtic to pull me and I am sure many others back from the abyss.[/B:4e081456]

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:54 pm

It would almost be worth it to accept Sevco into the SPL so that the other 11 teams in the league had a chance to administer their own retribution for the injustices they've had to suffer in the past.

This would still, at least for the next 3 years, open up 2nd place to the teams who would normally have little opportunity to reach 2nd place in the league and ensure that revenue streams would continue at least in the short term. It would also mean, because of their weakened state, that Sevco would be extremely vulnerable on the pitch and opens up the real possibility of relegation in the 1st year. This opens up the prospect of football teams themselves delivering the coup de grace on the pitch and not leaving it to the boardrooms and talking shops at Hampden.

In that event what would happen to the TV deals and would Scottish Football face a similar Armageddon to that which is being touted around at the moment by the cronies who are supposed to be managing the game in Scotland.

The underlying assumption in all of this is the arrogance that assumes Sevco will automatically survive in the SPL, or even the SFL 1st Div, next year.

This is not certain by any means and in this I agree with John Brown, the one with the Rangers accent, that it would set other teams up for financial benefit over the next 3 years at least and possibly, probably?, longer. That way other sides in the league could squeeze every last ounce of revenge, footballing, financial and otherwise, out of the situation before, hopefully then consigning, the excuse for a team in Govan to the bin. once and for all.

Hopefully by that time there will be real plans for a restructure of Scottish football that would take it forward.

But hey whatever, I'd take a straightforward binning for them right now. A bit of instant gratification doesn't do you any harm now and again.

Kiwibhoy

Postby Kiwibhoy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Unfortunately, the problem with relying on the Champions' League, or even Europe generally, is that it implicitly relies on being part of a strong domestic competition where you can hone the skills needed to survive in Europe. That's how the bulk of the other teams do well. Celtic might have the access, but without the skills (relative to the other sides) it will suffer.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:24 pm

[B:25223f97]Before we concentrate on Celtic, Joe, Celtic need to put our fears at rest that they are no in any way involved in this farce of Sevco to Division one.
I have been happy to let them hold their counsel, but the time has come to show leadership and direction. They have to state their position and stop letting speculation and rumour get the better of our support.
I have renewed my season ticket on the auto Renewal scheme and paid my £200 deposit, like I have done since the Hampden year, however I will boycott away games this season of any teams that Vote Yes to sevco in the SPL, even if they do not get in, and if they are cowards and hold a secret ballot then irrespective of the outcome I will not set foot inside another away venue unless that club publicly states that it voted NO.
Back to Celtic and the Sevco to Div 1 shenanigans, are we condoning this or in some way involved, if not tell us and put our fears to rest. If they are involved then I think that will be it, with football for me. I will ask for my deposit back and cancel my Direct Debit, and end 40 odd years of attending games.
I cannot believe I have reached this point but I have, and it needs public clarity from Celtic to pull me and I am sure many others back from the abyss.[/B:25223f97]

i am with you paul just emailed killie to tell them i wont be back.

Kiwibhoy

Postby Kiwibhoy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:43 pm

This is what I mean:

[URL:7b00cd7c]http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/frank-mcavennie-celtic-could-lose-out-on-millions.18115136[/URL:7b00cd7c]

[B:7b00cd7c]CELTIC risk seeing millions written off the value of their star players.[/B:7b00cd7c]

[I:7b00cd7c]By Ronnie Cully in Germany [/I:7b00cd7c]

That's the warning today from former Hoops hero Frank McAvennie as he considers the implications of an SPL without Rangers.
The ex-Parkhead striker fears Scottish football will fall to the level of the League of Ireland if Sky pull the plug – and he is convinced the broadcaster is not bluffing.
With the lack of competition and cash, Macca warns it will be harder than ever to attract good players – and to hold on to the ones already here.
Celtic's Gary Hooper falls into that category. But, while Southampton have already been prepared to offer £6million for him, without the Old Firm stage on which to show his quality, McAvennie reckons it will be tough to prove his worth and retain his value.
Macca said: "These are the kind of guys you want to hold on to. But how will their value be maintained if you no longer have the Old Firm games to judge them in?
"I enjoyed playing against the likes of Motherwell and Aberdeen, but they had good teams at the time. Now, it's not the same, and the Scottish game still has a way to fall. That includes in their European ranking, which will make qualifying for the group stages of competitions even harder in future."
McAvennie has watched in disbelief as the SPL clubs rejected the Rangers newco's application to win a place in the top division, and is astonished it will now be down to the SFL to this week possibly decide where they play.
He considers it has been a massive mistake, which will have serious consequences for every club north of the border.
"I agree Rangers deserved to be punished," he said. "But, what have these clubs who are voting them out of the SPL done?
"It's not the fault of the people who are at the club now. And why should the fans of Rangers, and other clubs, including Celtic, suffer for what has been done in the past by people no longer involved?
"I just don't see where it makes sense to kick them out of the SPL if Sky are saying the clubs will not be getting the £650,000 they are each due to receive in August.
"Sky are not bluffing. In England, it's only the Old Firm games that people buy into and what they are interested in."
McAvennie added: "There will be other clubs who go to the wall. It's going to end up like the League of Ireland. How do you attract players to Scotland, and how do you keep those already there?"

Return to “CSA News”