Why should Celtic be weakened by the actions of others?

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

Why should Celtic be weakened by the actions of others?

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:55 am

[COLOR=#000000:f48711f7]On a daily basis suggestions are being made about how best to accommodate a Newco football team into the SPL, obviously with the least restrictions placed upon that team. The latest talk is of the formation of an SPL2, and that the Newco team would join that league.
[COLOR=#000000:f48711f7]I have to say, if the football authorities had acted in a fair and decisive manner about 3 or 4 months ago, the whole sorry saga would probably be forgotten about now, and all the honest teams in Scotland could be going about their normal business of running a football club.
[COLOR=#000000:f48711f7]Why should Celtic FC suffer for the sins of another club which is now dead? Why should all the other clubs in Scotland be under pressure from their own supporters because of the Newco issue?
[COLOR=#000000:f48711f7]Celtic, and I imagine other teams are going to lose revenue because the people in power failed to act, some Celtic supporters won’t renew their season ticket if a Newco is allowed into the SPL, whether its SPL 1 or 2, some Celtic supporters won’t renew their season tickets if the Newco are not allowed in to SPL 1 or 2, and some sadly will use it as an excuse for not renewing.
[COLOR=#000000:f48711f7]Celtic finished last season as worthy League Champions, we probably could have, and indeed should have won the Treble, so we should be looking forward to being stronger in the market this coming season, not weaker, and we will be weaker if we don’t reach at least the season ticket numbers of last season.
[COLOR=#000000:f48711f7]Now we have the added problem of the other ten premier league clubs using the turmoil within the SPL to further their own ends by trying to change the voting system with regards to financial affairs in the SPL.
[COLOR=#000000:f48711f7]If changes need to be made in that regard it should done in a normal business manner, and that would be by discussion and mutual agreement, if Celtic are to have any chance of competing on the European stage, they cannot afford to drop a significant amount of their revenue, and that’s what will happen if the voting system is changed.
[COLOR=#000000:f48711f7]If some supporters are not renewing their season tickets now for whatever reason, how many would give theirs up if all Celtic’s home games were televised live on SKY or ESPN? And that would be possible under a new voting system.
[COLOR=#000000:f48711f7]The same could be said of sharing the home gate money, even if Celtic had to give 25% to the visiting team, that could cost us anywhere between 5 and 10 million pounds per season, obviously that money would be lost from the playing budget, so significantly reducing the quality of the playing squad.
[COLOR=#000000:f48711f7]Peter Lawwell said earlier we have a stand-alone business plan, but that comment was based on the clubs finances either remaining at the same level or higher, it would certainly not be stand-alone policy if we lose a significant amount of income.
[COLOR=#000000:f48711f7]The Celtic Supporters Association’s branches will discuss and vote on a selective boycott this coming Sunday; I believe we need to face the fact that, a change in the voting system would cause us far more damage that any Newco being in or out of the SPL.
[COLOR=#000000:f48711f7]I would certainly state that in most cases the Celtic Supporters also have a stand-alone policy, we stood alone on opposing the Offensive Behaviour at Football Bill, that’s for sure. I certainly hope that those supporters who have not yet renewed their season tickets do so in the near future. We need to stand strong, we need to continue to grow, not be dragged down by the failures of others to do their job properly and honestly.

Re: Why should Celtic be weakened by the actions of others?

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Joe,

First post....agree, all should renew asap.

As for the boycott, I think we should progress with this, but with individual personal pledges that the money not spent going to Aberdeen, Inverness et all, is spent at CP.......

Livi Bhoy

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:19 pm

why are we not demanding clarification on the fact that old rangers can vote for themselves at the forthcoming vote. the articles clearly state that the share dies with them and cannot be transferred

Kiwibhoy

Postby Kiwibhoy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:40 pm

This is the point I've been making for a while now, that Rangers' departure from the SPL would have messy financial consequences for the rest of the SPL as a whole - [I:a61e8128]and[/I:a61e8128] Celtic - although how it would work through was not clear at the time I first mentioned it.

But then, running a profitable football company is more important than Leagues Titles or cups, and these are probably more important than Europe.

bhoydavid

Postby bhoydavid » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:07 pm

just call for a boycott of ALL away matches & urge celtic fans to go to celtic park & pay £5 to celtic to get in to the lounges & watch the games,spend your money at celtic park.

Return to “CSA News”