We need to make our own decisions.

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

We need to make our own decisions.

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Fri May 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Every time you watch TV, or listen to the Radio, or read a newspaper, the same theme screams out at you, RANGERS IN CRISIS, well Celtic need to ignore those headlines and concentrate on our own club when we plan for next season.

Lenny has already spoken about a number of players leaving, and I think that number will be in double figures, the squad needs to be trimmed, if nothing else to save the wages of players who have little or no chance of playing in the first team.

But I hope we don't update our playing squad based on the assumption we will be playing against a weakened Rangers team, we need to be aiming at the highest level we could be playing at next season, and that is the Champions League.

We need to assume that we will qualify for the Champions League and set our stall out accordingly, I would think Lenny will be looking to bring in at least three quality players who can step into the first team right away, players who would be comfortable playing football at that level.

If Rangers go out of the SPL It will certainly be tricky balancing the books, but that the job of the Directors, and Peter Lawwell in particular. There is so much uncertainty surrounding the whole fiasco that it could drag on into the new season, we can't wait around to see what will happen, we need to act now.

I don't think we can afford to lose any more season ticket holders from Celtic Park, we may well lose up to half of the TV money, and the sponsorship money could also drop considerably. Peter Lawwell said “We don't need Rangers to survive”, and that's true, but only if the Celtic fans continue to support the team financially.

I was delighted with the way the team performed this season (2011/12) after a shaky start, we could have, and probably should have won the treble, but the most important target was to win back the League Title, that has been achieved, and with a bit of style too.

Now it's time to stand together once again, no matter what happens to Rangers, Celtic are still flourishing after 125 years, and that is down to the dedication of the Celtic support, let's continue that for another 125 years.

Hail, Hail, YNWA.

pensionerbhoy

Re: We need to make our own decisions.

Postby pensionerbhoy » Fri May 18, 2012 4:37 pm

The problem as I see it, Joe, is that nobody can move on properly and get the game settled for next season till the other issues are concluded. They have to have an impact on the whole SPL and they are dragging on inexorably towards chaos as ruling bodies drag their heals or even renege in their duty. I do agree, though, that Celtic should be focused on its targets for the coming season and not on who or what it will be competing against. If Celtic recognises qualifying for the final stages in the Champions League as its most difficult challenge and make it its prime objective, then signings, preparations etc. for other tournaments should automatically fall into place. Moreover, I do not concede for one minute that attendances will decline. If the team regularly produce attractive football then supporters will be drawn to go and watch. I remember during Stein's time and especially during the Lisbon Lions' period being squashed at the old stadium by crowds (regularly 80,000 ++) that just wanted "to see football played the Glasgow Celtic way" even though Celtic dominated Scottish football then. There were more teams in contention for trophies and being more competitive. More supporters from other clubs attended games too and I think that had a lot to do with more potential for the rewards available. Given the current situation, there is no reason this could not be replicated in the future, especially if the game can revert to a level playing field for all clubs. It may take a couple of seasons but with the proper handling and universal cooperation there could be a regenerated SPL in which competition will not diminish. In fact it could very well improve. I am convinced this would guarantee an increase rather than a decline in the support of all clubs. However, I still strongly support the boycotting of clubs that fail to uphold morality and integrity before self-interest when any voting takes place. This is what could place my optimistic forecast dead in the water.

H H

pensionerbhoy

Re: We need to make our own decisions.

Postby pensionerbhoy » Fri May 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi Joe
I have been reading the article on the official site regarding season ticket sales today. I just wanted to say that I have faith in the greatest support in the world always being there. That is why I am convinced about boycotting those who try to kick them in the groin (being polite - and careful!).

H H

Return to “CSA News”