"The unnecessy searching of all our supporters continues at St Mirren on Saturday"

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

"The unnecessy searching of all our supporters continues at St Mirren on Saturday"

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:24 am

[COLOR=#000000:79dd864d]I attended a meeting yesterday at New St Mirren Park to discuss the issue of searches and safety concerns with regard to our visit there on Saturday; representatives of the Celtic Trust were also in attendance.[COLOR=#000000:79dd864d]St Mirren was represented by their General Manager Brian Caldwell and their Safety Officer Findlay Mc Auley.[COLOR=#000000:79dd864d]Our first concern was the lack of turnstiles at the North Stand which holds 1,600 Celtic Supporters; access is through 4 turnstiles in 2 entry doors very close together at the west corner of the sand; we believe that is not enough; but unfortunately that is the way the stadium was built; so we will have to live with that.[COLOR=#000000:79dd864d]We did ask for the official flow rate through these turnstiles; unfortunately that information was not available; but the simple arithmetic tells us that approximately 400 supporters go through each turnstile.[COLOR=#000000:79dd864d]I have complained to St Mirren after every match we have played at New St Mirren Park regarding the searching of all Celtic supporters regardless of age or gender; which I believe is extreme and completely unnecessary.[COLOR=#000000:79dd864d]The response we got from St Mirren was that Celtic fall into the high risk category when it comes to making these decisions at the pre-match meeting; and they say that is based on the evidence of previous matches; and not only against St Mirren.[COLOR=#000000:79dd864d]Their most serious area of concerns was flares and smoke canisters; which can cause serious health problems if let off; particularly in an enclosed area of a football stadium. I have to say that I would agree with that comment; I believe they are particularly dangerous to anyone with breathing problems; especially under a low roof; and I would discourage anyone from taking them into a stadium.[COLOR=#000000:79dd864d]My real concerns here are that to my knowledge there have been no flares let off by the Celtic fans in Scotland since the Cup Final against Motherwell in May; so if that is the main reason for the total search; how long can they hold the previous use of flares against us?[COLOR=#000000:79dd864d]I intend to contact “K Division” of Strathclyde Police to discuss their involvement in the decision for the searches; and also Renfrew district Council for their input; not forgetting Ronnie Hawthorn at Celtic.[COLOR=#000000:79dd864d]If you are going to the match on Saturday please allow extra time to gain entry to the stadium. As for the searching of our supporters; you have the right to see any stewards Security Industry Authority (SIA) credentials before you allow them to search you.[COLOR=#000000:79dd864d]I would hope that this is the last time we will have to go through this infuriating and provocative process.

tyrebhoy

Re: "The unnecessy searching of all our supporters continues at St Mirren on Saturda

Postby tyrebhoy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Joe,
I have been searched twice at this ground, once by a woman steward on both occasions I spoke out as it was against my human rites, this 1 polis bully boy, gave a load of crap then followed us to where we were standing looking up we had the impression he was goading our fans,we had 1 fan arrested for saying dirty orange b-----d, cast ur mind back to last season when a young player of St. Mirren called us fenian b-----ds, it later transpired I got a call not to press charges, I later heard they would not go ahead with charges as this would harm his career, funny when 1 of our young fan playing else where hits headlines, another thing 2 gents of Asian appearance kick to death Irishman, all go;es quite,
not that am racist but if shoe was other foot all hell would have broken out lets get things equall

joanie 7

Re: "The unnecessy searching of all our supporters continues at St Mirren on Saturda

Postby joanie 7 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Joe I could be wrong but I do not remember any flares at the Cup Final. I do remember there were some at the semi vs Aberdeen whose supporters also had some.
However I do agree that flares and the like are dangerous and should not be taken into grounds.

Joe O'Rourke

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:02 pm

You know Joanie i think your right, there was a fracas with the cops. I must be getting too old for this.

Return to “CSA News”