"Thirty Years On, The Present Players Could Still Learn From Johnny Doyle"

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

"Thirty Years On, The Present Players Could Still Learn From Johnny Doyle"

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:39 pm

[COLOR=#000000:418effa9]Before the match at Kilmarnock on Saturday I took the opportunity to attend the ceremony at the grave of Celtic legend Johnny Doyle who passed away thirty years ago on October 19th.[COLOR=#000000:418effa9]It was a well-attended ceremony; with ex-team mates Danny Mc Grain, George Mc Cluskey, Bobby Lennox, Dom Sullivan, and Peter Latchford present along with John’s son Jason, and daughter Joanna.[COLOR=#000000:418effa9]Johnny Doyle used to travel to away matches on the team bus wearing a Celtic scarf; that was in case he wasn’t selected to play; then he would sit amongst the travelling support; because Johnny was first and foremost a Celtic supporter; being a Celtic player was the icing on the cake.[COLOR=#000000:418effa9]I believe Neil Lennon has a similar feeling for Celtic; it’s just a pity some of his players don’t; I will never openly criticise Celtic players; as was done at the club AGM on Friday; but I have always believed that if a player is not with you then he’s against you; so get him out.[COLOR=#000000:418effa9]Lenny needs to determine who is up for the fight and who isn’t; the ones that aren’t need to be moved out ASAP; and replaced with players who want to give 100% for our great club every time the pull on the jersey.[COLOR=#000000:418effa9]Doyley used to say “As long as it’s got green and white hoops, any number between 1 and 11 will do for me, I’d even settle for 12 or 13 sometimes. Numbers don’t bother me as long as I’m playing for Celtic”.[COLOR=#000000:418effa9]When Celtic won the league in May 1982, the chant went up all around Celtic Park, “We Won The League For Doyle, Oh Yes We Won The League For Doyle” it showed that if you gave 100% for the Celtic cause; then the Celtic support would give you 100% support back.[COLOR=#000000:418effa9]Neil needs to find that commitment to the cause within the present playing squad; if it’s not there then we need to find players who will give us that commitment. The player who rescued a point on Saturday was the youngest player on the park, James Forrest; some senior players could learn from the bhoys determination.[COLOR=#000000:418effa9]Finally I would like to congratulate the Celtic Graves Society for the wonderful work they do in finding and restoring the graves of Celtic players who have passed away; this is another example of what makes our football club unique; I just wish some of our players realised it[/COLOR:418effa9]

irish eyes

Re: "Thirty Years On, The Present Players Could Still Learn From Johnny Doyle"

Postby irish eyes » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:55 pm

Joe I couldn't agree more with you regarding players. If they don't have the commitment and the right attitude to play for CELTIC then it's time they move on.

Return to “CSA News”