"We need to ban the Daily Record Permanently"

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

"We need to ban the Daily Record Permanently"

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:43 pm

[COLOR=#000000:46fbd186]As far as rotten weekends go that one was down there with the worst of them; and the rotten feeling isn’t getting any better.[COLOR=#000000:46fbd186]It started off on Saturday morning when I received a couple of emails regarding the picture and headline on the back of the Daily Rectum; when I checked it out; I was astonished by it; even by their standards it was evil.[COLOR=#000000:46fbd186]I contacted Peter Lawwell right away and stated that something had to be done about that mob; he agreed; I also said I believed Celtic had to come out and make a strong statement to let our fans know we won’t accept it; which thankfully they did.[COLOR=#000000:46fbd186]I also believe that there was a case for a Police investigation; surely incitement to hatred in the national press cannot be condoned; let’s see what the Scottish Government and the Prosecuting Fiscal have to say about it.[COLOR=#000000:46fbd186]I note this morning they have printed an apology; that is far too little; far too late; the damage has already been done; their headline showed what they thought of editorial responsibility; we should remember the saying “Our history makes us strong, your hatred makes us stronger”. [COLOR=#000000:46fbd186]But we need to look at what we can influence; I welcome the decision to withdraw co-operation with the rag; but I think the time has certainly come to sever all ties with them.[COLOR=#000000:46fbd186]I believe Celtic needs to stop taking the sponsor money from the rag; in terms of our overall income it’s a paltry sum anyway; how can we continue to ask fans to stop buying the rag if we continue to promote them; and accept their money?[COLOR=#000000:46fbd186]The match yesterday was a complete let down; we didn’t compete in the second half. I said in a previous post that I had mixed feelings about being back in the Europa League; well I don’t have mixed feelings any longer; I wish we were out of it; it’s a distraction and could cost us the most important league trophy; the Scottish one.[COLOR=#000000:46fbd186]How irritating it is to look at pictures of Laugherty and Naismith celebrating in front of the Celtic support; I hope Lenny has a copy of that stuck on the dressing room wall; but then I doubt if too many of our players felt as bad as our fans after the result.[COLOR=#000000:46fbd186]It’s not the end of the world; there is still plenty of time to get ahead again; but we need to get a settled team; I think Lenny needs to decide on his best eleven and play them every week when possible; I don’t really believe in tinkering with the team; but he’s the boss.[COLOR=#000000:46fbd186]Wednesday night is another difficult match for us; we need to win this one at the first attempt; Ross County would probably prefer a draw to get them the gate money from the replay at Celtic Park; extra matches is the last thing we need; let’s get back to winning ways.

bhoydavid

Re: "We need to ban the Daily Record Permanently"

Postby bhoydavid » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Joe as long as our club are willing to accept money from the daily ranger from sponsorship nothing will be done regarding banning them indefinitely.
You should tell Peter Lawwell that sometimes principals mean more than money. It`s an anti celtic/catholic/irish rag of a paper which i believe the majority of celtic fans don`t buy.
The club must back the fans on this & ban them. As you say the money they pay is very small in the grand scheme of things & i`m pretty sure that we could attract other sponsors for similar money.
NO MORE DAILY RECORD AT CELTIC PARK.

Joe O'Rourke

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:58 pm

I agree with you 100% mate, i intend to mail him tomorrow with the same comments.

paulcampbell

Postby paulcampbell » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:20 am

Joe.Dont let this rest, if this is an apology from that rag and still none from Jackson then ban them, lawwell must be made aware that was the last time. We are Glasgow Celtic.

Stanshoops

Postby Stanshoops » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Joe. Long time reader but infrequent poster. Would like to echo the ban the rag sentiment for what it's worth. I expect the majority of CSA members and Celtic supporters in general support this and I'm sure they are in no doubt about fans feelings on this anyway. However it seems clear that whatever representations we make about this of distancing ourselves from the OF tag the board do as they please and follow the money.

Joe O'Rourke

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:52 pm

I actually spoke to Peter Lawwell today on the phone, he assures me they are on their final warning and all their comments will be monitored.

irish eyes

Postby irish eyes » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:49 pm

It's all very well for the d r paper to issue an apology, that in my opinion is not good enough. Are they just going to keep doing what they like and then put out an apology. I can't understand why some of our fans still buy this, it's time for folk to think long and hard about giving their money to the d r.

Return to “CSA News”