"Celtic Fans Proposal Gets the Support of the SPL"

All CSA News is picked up from here and published on Newsnow.co.uk
Joe O'Rourke

"Celtic Fans Proposal Gets the Support of the SPL"

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:04 pm

[SIZE=5:06296bcc]It would appear our call for an overhaul of the disciplinary procedures within Scottish Football has received support from the leader of a very important and influential body, namely the SPL Chief Executive Neil Doncaster.[/SIZE:06296bcc]

[SIZE=5:06296bcc]Not only did we contradict SFA Chief Executive Gordon Smith about his interpretation of FIFA rules; it would appear Mr Doncaster does also.[/SIZE:06296bcc]
[SIZE=5:06296bcc]

I would like to re-iterate that we are not seeking special treatment for Celtic alone; fairness would apply across the board for all clubs within Scottish Football; and quite frankly should be freely available without having to ask.

We have entered into the first stage of the campaign for change; it is entirely up to the authorities how far we need to travel on that road; but rest assured of one thing; no matter how long the road may be; we wont be getting off until the end.

SPL calls for new appeals system

Scottish Premier League chief executive Neil Doncaster has added to the clamour for a new way of appealing against refereeing decisions in Scotland.

Doncaster has written to the Scottish Football Association urging reform of the disciplinary appeals process.

The referee has the final decision on whether or not an appeal can proceed.

But Doncaster said:

"/>[/SIZE:06296bcc]
Their club have spoken out against several refereeing decisions this season and were particularly aggrieved when referee Dougie McDonald stood by his decision to show a red card to Scott Brown in their February defeat by Rangers.
[B:06296bcc]we risk reducing their (appeals) credibility in the eyes of the paying public [/B:06296bcc]
SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster

The SFA has already stated that discussions will take place to modernise the system, although the governing body appears to prefer the referee to remain involved in any proposed panel.
However, Doncaster told the SPL's website: "What is essential is that the referee himself is not part of that panel.
"We need to overhaul our current appeals system. We need to ensure that justice is done and is seen to be done by creating an independent appeals body - and we need to do so now.
"I've put these views to the Scottish FA and I'm looking forward to working with them to make a positive change on behalf of our clubs."
Doncaster pointed out that it was not only Celtic who were calling for a change, recalling comments made by Rangers manager Walter Smith, his counterparts at St Mirren and Hibernian, plus calls for change from the players' union.
"How can you have an appeals process which is dependent upon the referee admitting he got it wrong in the first place?" he said.
"This was the question posed by Walter Smith earlier this year. Walter Smith is not alone in questioning why Scotland should be so out of step with what happens elsewhere in Europe.
"PFA Scotland, Celtic, Hearts, Gus MacPherson and John Hughes have also spoken out in the past year or so, backing changes to the Scottish FA's appeals process."
Doncaster was encouraged by comments made by Gordon Smith but disputed the SFA chief executive's assertion that denying the referee any input would contravene Fifa rules.
The SPL chief said that the world governing body's own disciplinary committee allowed obvious errors to be rectified, which was why they were able to adopt such a system in England.
"As in England, this could involve respected former players and managers," he added.
"We can also make sure that these individuals are knowledgeable in the laws of the game and up to date with any developments on how to apply them.
"By insisting that referees must agree to review their decisions before an appeals process can take place, we are effectively insisting referees become both judge and jury.
"In doing so, we risk reducing their credibility in the eyes of the paying public. We need an open and transparent appeals system - one that is entirely independent of those making the decisions in the first place."
[COLOR=#666666:06296bcc]Story from BBC SPORT:[/COLOR:06296bcc]
[COLOR=#666666:06296bcc]http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8607548.stm[/COLOR:06296bcc]
[SIZE=3:06296bcc][/SIZE:06296bcc]

irish eyes

Re: "Celtic Fans Proposal Gets the Support of the SPL"

Postby irish eyes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:59 pm

I look forward to the outcome of this. Keep up the good work Joe and lets get all of our fans behind this.

max

Postby max » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:37 pm

I've got no doubt changes will be made for next season, especially after Smiths comments today, but it's funny how this situation arose in the first place in a season ragers HAD to win.
It will change now, but the damage has already been done and the required result achieved.
The Celtic support should still keep to their plans and let the rangers ran sfa know their feelings.

rick-tic

Postby rick-tic » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:55 pm

fairness would also be nice on pricing for semi finals this weekend.I e mailed sfa to ask who was responsible for charge of £22 for tic game with ross cty for north stand when 24 hrs later same seat is available for dun utd and raith for £18.Needless to say David Findlay (head of operations) said he would refer me to ticketing dept . Still no reply after 5 days.It now appears that since dun utd have requested more briefs they have opened another section for them and charged more for that than same ticket in our game.If you were a cynic you might think that the increase on utd tickets was to deflect complaints that its just celtic affected as this increase was put on after original pricing had been set.Joe could you have a wee go yourself as its been anoying me all week,and surely celtic must be aware that there is a discrepancy,with as usual on the recieving end ,although to be fair now also dundee utd as an afterthought. Cheers

Joe O'Rourke

Postby Joe O'Rourke » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:37 pm

I'll contact Peter Lawwell tomorrow and ask him what the price policy is for the Semi's, i'll get back to with any information i receive.
Joe

rick-tic

Postby rick-tic » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:05 pm

thanks joe ive tried sfa again tonight but dont hold out much hope of an answer from them,best of luck.

Return to “CSA News”